From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Agenda item: Formalize Gentoo's org structure
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 13:07:10
1 On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 6:24 AM, Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Gentoo has been known to be a two headed entity for a while. While the
5 > fact is that only one of the heads has legal standing to be called
6 > Gentoo, the other head has been doing most of the technical work.
7 > Unfortunately having two heads means that there can be fighting between
8 > them. In order to finally put the matter to some rest I seek to define
9 > Gentoo's org structure.
10 >
11 > Currently, legally, it only consists of the following:
12 > 1. foundation members
13 > 2. trustees
14 > 3. officers (don't have to be foundation members or trustees)
15 >
16 > I wish to extend that to the following.
17 > 1. foundation members
18 > 2. trustees
19 > 3. officers (don't have to be foundation members or trustees)
20 > 3.1 infra members (or at least the lead)
21 > 3.2 comrel members (or at least the lead)
22 > 3.3 council members
23 >
24 > Infrastructure has a clearly defined role in Gentoo. Namely that of
25 > managing foundation infrastructure resources. Bringing those members
26 > under the foundation's umbrella formalizes this. Infra has previously
27 > been fairly nebulous as to who directs them (having been directed by
28 > council, trustees and comrel).
29 >
30 > Comrel has the clear analog of being the HR (human relations). HR
31 > is three to protect the business from human related infighting. Comrel
32 > was previously under the direction of the council, primarily for
33 > historical reasons (the foundation was not well staffed or run until
34 > recently). I thank the council for managing this.
35 >
36 > Council is supposed to be the technical leadership within Gentoo, over
37 > the last decade or so this responsibility has ballooned to encompass
38 > things out side this scope. This seeks to clearly define the powers of
39 > the council to that of technical leadership.
42 > One of the drawbacks of this is that being an officer means being an
43 > 'organ' of the business, meaning that some of the current members may
44 > have conflicts with their current job. To this I ask 'Is what you are
45 > doing now not vital? If it is doesn't that make you an organ (even if
46 > not explicitly stated as such)?'
47 >
48 > One of the good things about this (other than clearly defining roles and
49 > boundaries) is that it allows council members to server as Trustees.
50 > This would require a bylaw change, but has been something often
51 > complained about.
54 Would you change GLEP 39 here and get a vote of the developer-base to
55 change the metastructure?
56
57 -A
61 > --