From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Question about other people's intellectual property
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:08:02
1 On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 14:18 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote: [Mon Apr 11 2005, 02:01:57PM CDT]
3 > > I have a question that I haven't been able to get a suitable answer to
4 > > as of yet. Then again, I haven't asked the right people I am sure.
5 > >
6 > > What legal standing does the Foundation have in regard to Gentoo
7 > > developers? If I wanted to, for example, work with a certain software
8 > > company to be able to distribute their products in a slightly modified
9 > > form, something which is explicitly forbidden in their license, but they
10 > > were willing to license the software to the Foundation for this explicit
11 > > purpose, would that apply to all of Gentoo? The Foundation members?
12 > > Nobody?
13 >
14 > I've no idea what you're asking, I'm afraid. Could you provide a more
15 > explicit, even if fictitious, example?
16
17 Enemy Territory, though free, has a restriction that would keep us from
18 distributing it in "modified form", which includes the installed form.
19 The only form that we can provide it in is the installer itself.
20
21 If I wanted to get permission from Id to make, say, the old Gentoo Games
22 Enemy Territory CD and redistribute it, they would need to grant a
23 specific license to the Foundation to allow this, correct?
24
25 Now, who/what would that license cover? The Foundation? All the
26 developers? Our mirrors?
27
28 What legal bindings does the Foundation have to say, developer Y? Can
29 the Foundation engage in legal contracts on the behalf of Gentoo Linux?
32 Chris Gianelloni
34 Games - Developer
35 Gentoo Linux