From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Gentoo Foundation bank account
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 12:55:38
1 On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 05:07 -0700, Duncan wrote:
2 > On Sunday 03 August 2008 17:01:10 gentoo-nfp+help@l.g.o wrote:
3 > > Another option, that might be fit our role more is some direct or online
4 > > banking. ING.com is one of the biggest ones. Capital One is another one
5 > > but I don't care for them as a company .. personal preference. That
6 > > would get by the problem of having to be close by.
7 >
8 > (Following the list via digest mode.)
9 >
10 > Compass Bank is another 100% online bank. I don't know a lot about them, but
11 > do know I get a decent amount of their cards thru at work, so people use 'em.
12 > 100% online, they sand you a card and you can do business at any ATM. They
13 > refund ATM fees up to X dollars per transaction.
14 >
15 > But I've no idea on business accounts with them, and no idea if they require
16 > direct deposit or just that you use an ATM for deposits as well.
17 >
18 > 100% online, tho, so there shouldn't be restrictions on locality, except that
19 > their ATM fee refunds might not cover the full amount of non-US transactions.
20 >
21 > Due to the strengthened banking laws after 9/11, pretty much anything in the
22 > US is going to require ID verification of some sort. However, I'm not
23 > certain it would have to be all officers, and since faxed documents are held
24 > to be legally valid in the US, I'm guessing that's how something that's 100%
25 > online would work, fax them the IDs. It's possible they'd need notarized,
26 > but notaries are pretty common.
27 >
28 > Just throwing another option out there. At least here, ask anyone to name an
29 > online bank, and Compass is likely the name that would come up.
32 Thanks for the tip.
33
34 Regards,
35 Ferris
36 --
37 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
38 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)