From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Point being foundation members existence
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 23:39:07
With the recent discussion on foundation members. Along with a withdraw
request from a foundation member. When I think about the role the
foundation was created to fulfill. I am at a loss as to why there is the
need for foundation members. Why they exist at all?

I am looking to others that were familiar with the foundations creation,
inception, purpose etc to answer that one. Since there seems to be an
obvious distinction between developer and foundation member.

Seems it's mostly for voting in foundation elections. Which seems dev
terms same as voting for council apply there. But voting is not enough
to entail membership and create another class. I mean voting could still
be done by Gentoo developers and there would be no need for foundation
members. Unless it's simply for former devs to retain voting abilities.
Which could be done without membership per say.

For the record I am not saying I dislike the idea of foundation
membership. I just do not understand the purpose, benefit, or role of a
Gentoo Foundation member. Given the Foundation is just a IP, Legal
container, etc. Seems that is something that requires just a handful of
people to do. No members required.

William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo Foundation

Subject Author