From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@×××××××××××××.com>
Cc: Bdale Garbee <bdale@×××.com>, gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Gentoo Linux Project / Gentoo Foundation
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:29:41
1 Joshua,
2
3 On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 07:43 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
4 > William,
5 >
6 > >> The SFC presently lacks funds to take on a project of our size. Not to
7 > >> mention is some what new, and has never managed a project like ours. Much
8 > >> less with our existing structure.
9 >
10 > I wouldn't be too worried about that with us as we have Debian,
11 > PostgreSQL and OpenOffice.org :)
12
13 Great, as financing is one of the major obstacles to handing things over
14 to the SFC.
15
16 > >>
17 > >> I know via the SFC's connection to the SFLC. Provides them more of an
18 > >> ability to provide legal counsel than the SPI.
19 >
20 > We actually have two attorneys one is SFLC and another who has beeen
21 > with us for some time.
22
23 Excellent
24
25 > > But from what I have been
26 > >> told. If Gentoo's Foundation or Project is in proper legal standing,
27 > >> and/or an entity like the SPI managing 1-2 above. We can apply to the
28 > >> SFLC independently for counsel.
29 > >>
30 >
31 > Right but see above about us already having this resource for you.
32
33 Sure no worries. Just wasn't something that would prevent us from
34 dealing with the SPI. But now it's moot per your info :)
35
36 > >> I am just doing some initial research, to see if the SPI would even be
37 > >> interested. What we need to do before applying, if anything, etc.
38 > >>
39 >
40 > Take a look at:
41 >
42 > http://www.spi-inc.org/treasurer/associated-project-howto.html
43 > http://www.spi-inc.org/secretary/joining-spi-projects.html/
44
45 I did, just wasn't sure if we should proceed with the application or
46 not. Looks like I am doing step 2 of the second link. Before we proceed
47 with the steps from the other.
48
49 > I wasn't quite clear from your email. Are you looking to just use SPI
50 > until you get your paperwork cleaned up? Or are you actually looking to
51 > build a relationship with SPI.
52
53 I am on a fact finding mission about the SPI. We have discussed turning
54 things over to the SFC/SPI. We are unsure if we will resolve things in
55 house, or clean things up, and hand over to another.
56
57 Either way we are going to clean things up before proceeding. Just
58 weighing out our options on proceeding from there. Many are in favor of
59 handing things over. Thus looking for information to reinforce that.
60
61 Anything we do with the SPI beyond gathering information would be a long
62 term proposition for the foreseeable future. We are not looking to the
63 SPI to help us clean up our present mess then move on. More the other
64 way around. Clean up mess, proceed with SPI or in house.
67 William L. Thomson Jr.
68 Gentoo/amd64/Java