From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [Discussion] Refiling as a tax-exempt nonprofit.
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 20:13:33
1 On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 4:22 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 2020-07-20 at 15:50 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > > The board had previously discussed this opportunity (including talking to
5 > > the CPA about it) but I think we didn't really gather a consensus about
6 > it
7 > > in 2019. I have not heard much about it in 2020 and I want it to raise it
8 > > again as we begin fiscal 2021.
9 > >
10 > > I'm more open to this idea than I was in the past but I continue to have
11 > > concerns about recruiting board members who will execute the duties
12 > > required. While we could keep the current board when we create a new
13 > > Foundation I'm curious how we could recruit additional members in the new
14 > > Foundation.
15 >
16 > I don't know if it's worth the effort. The effort is better put into
17 > disbanding GF and making Gentoo more sustainable, than making it harder
18 > to keep GF afloat when we have a very bad track record of dealing with
19 > the 'easier' variant.
20 >
21 > As I've said in the other thread, it looks that we're spending 7% of our
22 > cash donations on the CPA. Our bookkeeping is suffering from a bus
23 > factor of 1. We aren't really effectively spending our donations
24 > because we aren't really sure what we can spend it on.
27 Who is unsure? I'm pretty sure the board isn't insure (I'm the Foundation
28 president and I'm definitely comfortable spending the money.) Whats
29 stopping people from submitting funding requests? (but more on this below.)
33 > The way I see it, this will only become worse after the change. Surely,
34 > we might get more money. But will we actually spend it on Gentoo,
35 > or hoard it and spend it mostly on operational costs?
38 I guess I continue to not really agree with this narrative. Every year I
39 say the same thing.
40 - The Foundation has money.
41 - We are happy to spend the money.
42 - Please file funding requests.
43
44 I want to spend the money! One reason why you constantly see the board
45 coming up with ideas to spend the money is *because* the community never
46 asks to spend it on anything. Do you know how many funding requests we get
47 a year? I think it's 2-3. Last year we bought some new sparc hardware[1].
48 That bug took *two years* not because we didn't have money, but because it
49 took a while to find a sparc dev to vet and submit a proposal (submitted
50 Oct 10, 2019, approved by the board on Oct 11 2019.)
51
52 So I will re-iterate. Please file more funding requests for stuff.
53
54 -A
55
56 [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/607622
60 > > Some thoughts:
61 > > - We could recruit outside members of the board who are not Gentoo
62 > > Developers, but had advocacy from other OSS projects.
63 > > - We could try to recruit or modify the way individuals are recruiter as
64 > > Gentoo Developers, to make it easier to attract board members.
67 > I don't really see how this changes anything. If someone from 'outside'
68 > would like to help out with Foundation (were any voices about it heard
69 > so far?), I don't see why he wouldn't be able to join as an officer,
70 > then get membership in return for the services rendered.
71 >
72 > Unless your purpose is to lure people into becoming board members, so
73 > that the implied responsibility would make them have to do some work.
74 > We all know how that worked in the last years. I don't see how
75 > changing the pool from developers/existing foundation members to random
76 > people from outside would suddenly change the trend.
77 >
78 > The problem is finding people who *want to* and *can* help, not finding
79 > people who want to become board members and then maybe they will be
80 > forced to help 'or else'. Because these people won't help out, they
81 > will only make things worse by blocking changes just so they could keep
82 > their position.
83 >
84 > --
85 > Best regards,