From: Matthew Summers <matthew.summers@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Response to Grant Goodyear
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 06:17:48
1 Greetings,
2
3 First, I wish to state that I am a long time Gentoo user and over the
4 past several years I have been nothing but happy with Gentoo. It is
5 my opinion that Gentoo is the greatest of all GNU/Linux distributions,
6 and I want to extend my most hearty gratitude to the entire Gentoo
7 community, to the developers, to the users,to everyone involved, both
8 in the past and in the present, for all of the effort over the years.
9 It has been monumental. Many thanks.
10
11 I now own a small development company & we use Gentoo (Hardened-amd64)
12 on our development & production servers. What's more I happen to deal
13 largely in the non-profit, foundation, and grant world. It is with
14 regard to this particular aspect of my expertise that I wish to inform
15 the various governmental bodies of Gentoo that there is a vast ocean
16 of possibilities, and funding, available to non-profits &
17 foundations. This to perhaps inspire new thinking about the role of
18 Gentoo and the Gentoo community in the world at large.
21 I am of the opinion that Gentoo should not contract the SFC to manage
22 the Foundation for the following reasons.
23
24 -With responsible governance there is no real need to be under the
25 umbrella of another larger organization. -The SFC may or may not have
26 the funding, capacity, or longevity to handle as large an organization
27 as Gentoo.
28 -The SFC will surely take some Gentoo generated funding away from
29 Gentoo to cover administrative costs, etc, that, given responsible
30 governence, could be used for the greater benefit of Gentoo and the
31 Gentoo community.
32
33 There are significant amounts of money available to NPOs, like Gentoo,
34 from Federal grant programs to the more mundane private charitable
35 donations. In general, these funding opportunities require program
36 development and partnerships with other organizations and institutions
37 such as community based non-profits and universities. The real beauty
38 of these opportunities is that it fosters a relationship between our
39 Gentoo community and the larger public, be it on a smaller local level
40 with other community-based non-profits or on a larger scale with multi
41 university research partnerships, etc. One of the many benefits of
42 this type of interaction is that funding can be allocated for many
43 different activities, for example, provisions for administrative
44 costs, new equipment, training programs, salaries, incentives for
45 developers, and a premium experience for users. Therefore, with this
46 kind of funding, Gentoo can help its own community members while also
47 assisting others. Which, in my opinion, is one of the strongest
48 characteristics of the Gentoo community, helping others. This is
49 demonstrated on IRC, in the forums, and in the email lists every day.
50 Why would we need to belong to a larger organization to do these
51 things? Why do we need an organization, like the SFC, to "manage"
52 Gentoo. Perhaps we ought simply solicit them for /pro bono/ legal
53 assistance in emergency situations.
56 I am of the opinion that Gentoo should welcome the return of Daniel
57 Robbins, but in a somewhat more limited sense than his recent offer.
58
59 Mr. Robbins is obviously an extremely intelligent and dedicated
60 individual that seems to really care about the health of Gentoo. In
61 addition, Mr. Robbins has a large amount of experience in the larger
62 world of business and software development. Thus it seems reasonable
63 to posit that he may indeed have some very good ideas regarding the
64 direction of Gentoo. I, for one, welcome a transparent roadmap that I
65 would have the opportunity to review and comment on. Prior to starting
66 a business I was rather happy to simply remain on the fringe of the
67 Gentoo community. My main interest was in using the meta-distro to
68 accomplish some very specific research related work as well as use on
69 my personal machines. However, now that I rely on Gentoo from a
70 business perspective I find myself much more interested in and
71 concerned about the general direction of Gentoo. Thus, a more
72 transparent governance would put my mind at ease and provide a means
73 for greater communication with Gentoo's developers.
76 What follows are some suggestions.
77
78 Consider the use of university internship programs for projects like
79 documentation (technical writing students) & The GMN (journalism
80 students). These programs are a requirement to graduate for many
81 university students. With that, many companies and other
82 organizations offer resume-building experience in their field in the
83 form of these unpaid interships. I'm sure many of you have had the
84 pleasure of an unpaid internship. The Gentoo Foundation can leverage
85 its status as a well known GNU/Linux distribution and a legitimate
86 global organization to attract the leading universities around the
87 world. What I mean to say is that people pay attention to Gentoo and
88 there exists a certain level of expectation of quality from the larger
89 tech world. To really floor the critics, solicit a few English
90 departments at some highly respected university to collaborate with a
91 team of developers and users to create and maintain documentation and
92 write a regular news letter. I know a few good writers and if you give
93 them the right information to start with then answer any questions
94 they have along the way you get really nice work. What writer
95 wouldn't like to have their name on really well written, and heavily
96 viewed pages? Talk about an attention grabber.
97
98 Further, consider using internship programs to assist with the
99 management and governance of the Gentoo Foundation itself. There are
100 many university programs that focus on non-profit and foundation
101 management. Create programs that give opportunities to these students
102 to participate in the day to day business of the Gentoo Foundation.
103 They can act in supporting roles for the trustees and counsel members
104 and other various committees. Hey, its worth university credit to the
105 student and its free to Gentoo.
108 Consider the implementation of a Gentoo Patron program, such that
109 companies and other organizations have an opportunity to support the
110 Foundation, be it financially or with volunteers. In return, offer
111 some Patron Profile Page to give the donors some visibility. Further,
112 as a small business owner I have to say, its sometimes very tough to
113 locally procure for employment a good developer, administrator, or
114 otherwise one that knows their way around Gentoo or GNU/Linux for that
115 matter. I imagine that other companies have similar issues. Thus some
116 way for companies and organization to be exposed to the larger Gentoo
117 community would be a significant return on any investment.
118
119 Consider a partnership with a larger organization, like Google, to
120 extend the users experience in novel ways. One example would be the
121 use of some social networking tools to aid the Gentoo community in
122 collaborations on code, documentation, etc.
125 In closing, I want to offer thanks for a job well done. It has taken
126 the dedication of many individuals to get Gentoo to where it is today.
127 This spirit is not gone. Thus, we look toward a bright future. If
128 anyone wishes to contact me for any reason please do so, I would be
129 pleased to answer any questions. If I can provide any futher
130 information or assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
131
132 Best Regards,
133 Matthew Summers
136 Matthew W. Summers
137
138 Chief Executive Officer & Systems Engineer
139 Liquidus Tech, LLC
140 309 N. Jefferson Ave. Suite 378
141 Springfield, MO 65806
142 (417) 894-2607