From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Status meeting --- 30 March
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:09:56
1 Ferris McCormick wrote:
2
3 > 2. I have looked at the proposed bylaws on our web site and as revised
4 > on 2007-01-22. Except for the change from NM to Delaware, the proposed
5 > revision is closer to what we actually are. That said, let me raise a
6 > few points.
7 > a. The (2007-01-22) proposal is quite detailed. Do we want the
8 > initial bylaws to go into such specificity? This is probably not a big
9 > deal one way or the other, because the bylaws are easily amended. And
10 > NM does not care what is in them as long as they do not conflict with NM
11 > law.
12 Is the plan to move to an umbrella organisation asap? (It was mentioned
13 briefly in the log.) If there's a chance that the Foundation will be
14 continuing, then best to get them right imo, if they require voting on by
15 the membership as Mr Jackson raised.
16
17 > b. Both sets of bylaws call out both a Board (of Trustees) and
18 > officers of the Foundation chosen by the trustees. At the moment, we
19 > (the trustees) are acting as the officers of the Foundation (because we
20 > chose ourselves if for no other reason). We need to think through how
21 > this works and what structure we want.
22 Officers are people appointed on a professional basis, eg a lawyer, acct or
23 admin, or more general?
24
25 > c. Trustees must be members of the Foundation, but Officers of the
26 > Foundation need only to be alive (in order to carry out their duties).
27 > Right now that is probably OK because we have neatly resolved the issue
28 > for the moment (see point b).
29 >
30 As you mentioned in the meeting, the membership detail doesn't seem to match
31 the existing practice.
32
33 > Because everything we do (in NM or anywhere else) keys off the bylaws, I
34 > lean toward a recommendation as follows: After a quick scrub for sanity
35 > and correctness, adapt the 2007-01-22 revision, with an eye to amending
36 > it as experience warrants. And I know Roy has some ideas along these
37 > lines which might belong in the bylaws or not. My inclination is to
38 > pursue his ideas by other means because the bylaws should be rather
39 > brief and general: The bylaws are the rules explaining who we are and
40 > how we work procedurally. Thus, it is appropriate and necessary for the
41 > bylaws to explain who the members are and how we vote, but inappropriate
42 > for them to call out the President's salary. The bylaws are an enabling
43 > document, giving the Trustees authority to act.
44 >
45 I agree they should be minimal.
46
47 Thanks to all of you for taking this critical work on. I'm sure it'll be
48 more fun in a few months ;p
49 --
50 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list