From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] agenda item: moderation of the nfp list
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 02:11:21
1 On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 7:45 PM, Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Some questions have been raised about how the nfp list is moderated.
5 > In that vein I propose the following.
6 >
7 > 1. Affirm that access to the nfp list is a privilege not a right, even
8 > to Foundation members.
9 > 2. Formally give comrel rights to moderate the list, pursuant to the
10 > CoC. Moderate in this case means enact warnings/bans with reason given.
11 > 2.1. The reason given needs to be public (not sure about this)
12 > 2.2. Those having actions enacted against them are able to appeal to the
13 > trustees.
16 This by itself does not appear to be legal. You can't have some independent
17 entity policing a mailing list run for Foundation member communication.
18 There is no clear connection between Foundation and ComRel, no
19 accountability of ComRel to the user community, etc, etc. This needs to be
20 resolved first.
21
22 Second, I expect the Foundation to have means of discussion for Foundation
23 members. In fact, it already does -- this list! Having a trustees@ alias is
24 not enough. The Foundation is a *member* organization. The Foundation
25 trustees are elected by members. The CoC is designed to be a standard of
26 *developer* conduct, but not all members are developers. The -nfp list is
27 clearly the official channel for communication regarding Foundation issues.
28 Having ComRel control who can post to this list is clearly not OK.
29
30 Furthermore, "warnings/bans" are not an appropriate way to *moderate* a
31 mailing list. We don't need a mailing list secret police that pounce
32 through a door like the "Spanish Inquisition" Monty Python sketch.
33
34 -Daniel