From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Use of Name and Logo
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:12:45
1 On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 05:10:46PM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > What we're doing here is essentially licensing our trademark, based on
3 > various conditions. Therefore, this page _is_ a trademark license and
4 > needs all the things they need.
5
6 It might be worth mentioning that for the time being the Gentoo Foundation
7 cannot do anything as long as the trademark/logo isn't transferred. In other
8 words, don't go mentioning cases in this thread - we can't do anything
9 except taking note of it.
10
11 > Trademark law in the U.S. basically dictates that if others are using
12 > our trademark in our area, they need to be either licensed or
13 > cease-and-desisted shortly after we become aware of them. If we just
14 > ignore them, the trademark's considered abandoned and we lose its
15 > ownership.
16
17 Not really, you can also use a "Fair Use Guideline". See
18 http://www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml#fairuse for an example.
19
20 Wkr,
21 Sven Vermeulen