From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: Foundation existence and behavior (Was: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes)
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 14:11:45
1 Roy Bamford wrote:
2 >
3 > The Foundation needs a set of bylaws *now*, that suit Gentoo as it is
4 > *now* but written in such a way that allows for flexibility as Gentoo
5 > ch ages.
6 >
7 > The Foundation is set up as a business legal entity because that's the
8 > only sort there is. Its behavior is bound by New Mexico law, as
9 > interpreted by case law and the bylaws, which we are discussing here,
10 > Article by Article. William is quite right when he says there is no
11 > such thing as an informal foundation. Try informally filing your
12 > personal tax returns.
13
14 Agreed. I'd really argue for KISS for now - we can always change it later.
17 > Back to the now.
18 > The emphasis is very much on the *now*. There is no point in framing
19 > bylaws for what Gentoo might become - more than likely, it won't become
20 > what we expect today, We will never agree such speculative bylaws
21 > anyway. Even if we did, because of what we are today, we could not
22 > follow them.
23 >
24 > Its back to the simple here and now, with adaptability.
27 I agree.
28
29 I'm actually not completely opposed to many of the ideas being tossed
30 around in this discussion. But perhaps they should be tried out at
31 least informally before they are codified. Let's focus on getting the
32 bylaws to reflect the status quo (well, at least what it should be) -
33 and then worry about the grand plan after everything is in place.
34
35 If we want to experiment with giving users more of a voice, why don't we
36 try creating some forums for this, which don't have any legal power? We
37 can then see how it all works without any commitment to go in a
38 particular direction.
39
40 I happen to work in a highly regulated industry, and in many cases we
41 need to have formally documented processes that we are legally obligated
42 to follow - with routine inspections to ensure compliance. When we want
43 to try out something new, we usually try to pilot it in some area that
44 isn't too critical or overly regulated, and then if it is successful we
45 steadily embrace it across the company. The last thing we would want to
46 do is to formally and legally adopt untested processes and get ourselves
47 into a mess where we have to constantly justify not following those
48 processes because they don't work out as expected.
49
50 I think we should try something similar here. Let's get the Foundation
51 running good and strong in its present scope, and then let's talk about
52 how we can improve things steadily. I think that once we get into an
53 environment where things are working successfully there will be a lot
54 more trust and goodwill towards taking on more.
55
56 And I do want to thank the trustees for the work that goes into all of
57 this. I also recognize that formally being on a board of directors
58 comes with a lot of legal risk as well. Sure, Gentoo can indemnify
59 anybody it wants to, but the Gentoo coffers won't go far if a trustee
60 gets sued by some company ticked about Gentoo dropping their product
61 from portage or whatever. I also want to point out that while I
62 probably disagree with William about a few things I'm probably closer in
63 thought to him than might be immediately apparent and I appreciate all
64 he is doing here!
65 --
66 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list