From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Spending money authority
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:05:38
1 William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > When I was thinking again about Gentoo's structure. The relationship of
3 > the Foundation and the Council. I thought of an odd scenario. The
4 > council rules the project, period. No contesting that and I am not
5 > looking to change that.
6
7 I contest that the Foundation not only rules, but is Gentoo. It owns
8 the assets and funds of Gentoo and it is it's responsibility that they
9 are used appropriately.
10
11 > That said, the Council decides to take some action within Gentoo. That
12 > decision and action requires funding. Now who's hands does the power lie
13 > in? At that point the Trustees, and if they choose not to fund the
14 > request. Then what? Council is denied their supreme authority. Hardly
15 > ideal, and I believe goes against the purpose of the council.
18 And what happens if the Council actions funding that is against the
19 interests of Gentoo. Is the Foundation to blindly accept there decision.
20
21 > Case in point. Last year for the Florida Linux Show, I had to ask and
22 > get Trustees approval to fund a booth at the show for Gentoo[1]. To me
23 > that seems like a decision that should fall to the Council not the
24 > Foundation.
25
26 Isn't the Council only interested in Gentoo Development? Why burden it
27 with non-development related funding requests?
30 > The only time the Foundation should deny a funding request/order from
31 > the council is if there is not adequate funds available. But it should
32 > not be up to a second body what areas get funded and don't.
33
34 The only time the Foundation should deny a funding request/order form
35 from the Council is when
36
37 1) There is not adequate funds
38 2) The request does not satisfy one of the Principles or Tasks of the
39 Gentoo Foundation.
42 > The Foundation isn't running the project, why should they be in control
43 > of what money is spent on. Now access and final payment, I think should
44 > still go through the Foundation. But more as acting on the Council's
45 > ruling or decision. Unless it's a totally insane request, there might be
46 > some veto power in the request/order. But really it should not be up to
47 > the Foundation. It's not it's mission to decide those things. Just
48 > oversee and enact.
49
50 I actually see very little difference between this and other threads on
51 Gentoo's organisational structure. [1] One thing that I get the
52 impression of, is that ppl think that just because one Group has the
53 power it has to be the one to enforce it. The Foundation could quiet
54 easily delegate some/all spending authority to the Council if it wishes.
55
56 I would like the Foundation to have veto powers of nearly everything the
57 Council does, but would expect the convention to be that the Foundation
58 accepts decisions (automatically) by Council ( unless there is something
59 really wrong with the decision ). I have also detailed ways to stop to
60 much power from being held within the Foundations hands ( via Councils
61 right to call Foundation elections and vice-versa ).
62
63 Alistair
64
65 [1]