From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [Discussion and vote] Hire CPA for Fiscal 2020 taxes
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 17:57:59
1 On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 1:46 PM Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera
2 (klondike) <klondike@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > El 21/7/20 a las 19:41, Alec Warner escribió:
5 >
6 > NetBSD spends about 3-5k a year on legal and operational expenses according to their filings. If we hired this accountant for Tax and Bookkeeping our expenses would be somewhere around 4k a year. So this seems in the right ballpark of costs for these tasks. I agree 7% is high. However because we are spending about the same as the peer organizations I have looked at, I'm not confident we can effectively reduce these costs very much without impacting the work product. There are penalties and fines for doing the taxes wrong so i'm less eager to hire a very cheap CPA to do them.
7 >
8 > Plus an accountant who is not a CPA cannot, under most circumstances, represent the Foundation in front of the IRS during an audit. Given the Foundation's current history I wouldn't be surprised if it gets audited.
9
10 Honestly, in our current state I think our emphasis should be on
11 compliance, not cost-cutting. You have to master the basics before
12 you start getting fancy.
13
14 Plus switching CPAs after the first year we've actually gotten things
15 done right doesn't seem wise.
16
17 This is the cost of properly running an organization. It would be one
18 thing if everything were fine spending less, but it hasn't been.
21 Rich