From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Bylaws change: allowing Council members to serve as Trustees
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 05:59:15
1 On 18-06-04 07:49:38, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > W dniu nie, 03.06.2018 o godzinie 23∶10 -0500, użytkownik Matthew Thode
3 > napisał:
4 > > On 18-06-03 21:03:47, Raymond Jennings wrote:
5 > > > On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 6:40 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
6 > > > <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > > On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
8 > > > > >
9 > > > > > Hello, everyone.
10 > > > > >
11 > > > > > This one has came up a few times recently, and I think it would be
12 > > > > > reasonable to finally put it as formal motion. I'd like to propose
13 > > > > > removing from Bylaws section 5.2 (Qualification) [1] the following
14 > > > > > paragraph:
15 > > > > >
16 > > > > > No individual shall serve as a Gentoo Foundation Trustee and Gentoo
17 > > > > > Council Member concurrently
18 > > > >
19 > > > >
20 > > > > <snip>
21 > > > >
22 > > > > > --
23 > > > > > Best regards,
24 > > > > > Michał Górny
25 > > > >
26 > > > >
27 > > > >
28 > > > > I never agreed with this restriction and always felt it should be left for
29 > > > > the electorate to decide, so +1 from me on this proposal.
30 > > > > Regards,
31 > > > >
32 > > > > Jorge
33 > > > >
34 > > >
35 > > > For my part I would like to raise a point of potential conflicts of
36 > > > interest if one person were to serve both roles.
37 > > >
38 > > > Though I'd be happy to let each electorate decide as well.
39 > > >
40 > > > To address the potential conflict of interest case, one might need to
41 > > > have clearly defined what they're supposed to do in the first place.
42 > > >
43 > > > Less rehashign what is already known and perhaps more formal
44 > > > documentation of it. There is some apparent disagreement.
45 > > >
46 > >
47 > > Can you give an example of such a conflict? I think the only thing I
48 > > can think of is once we get travel reimbursement done is self granting
49 > > it. If such a thing happens (self granting) without VERY good reason
50 > > I'd likely organize a removal / vote of no confidence.
53 > I don't see how Council members are different from 'pure Trustees' here.
54 > A Trustee can also request travel reimbursement, and I think it's
55 > pretty reasonable to expect that he would abstain from a vote in this
56 > case.
59 Yep, I thought of that after I sent the email. Like I said, it's the in
60 my first response, I don't see anything wrong with this proposal. The
61 voters hold the trustees responsible. Hell, the trustees have a
62 fiduciary duty to the foundation as well iirc.
65 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)