From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-nfp] RE: [gentoo-council] Foundation by laws: new Article V
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 13:02:59
1 On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 21:44 -0700, Chrissy Fullam wrote:
2 > >as I'm not the only
3 > one discussing this it must be viewed as worth other people's time.
4
5 Who else is participating? Alec was responding to your questioning with
6 reasoning. Rich came from left field. Blackace is commenting on my
7 response. So who else is discussing this?
8
9 Not a single person has made a single post on the recently voted in
10 bylaws other than Chrissy. There are other much more questionable
11 subjects and sections in the bylaws. But those are being ignored.
12
13 Why this one section? Hmm, well as stated and as history shows. Chrissy
14 have a personal connection to someone who was on both council and
15 trustees. While this has really nothing to do with them specifically.
16 It's not hard to make the connection to why this particular section is
17 being singled out and focus'd on. But mostly a single individual, not my
18 multiple.
19
20 Not a single person on council has said anything. Or any of the 200+
21 developers/foundation members. So we have less than 1% here speaking up.
22 Really just one person.
23
24 > The discussion is worthwhile to me, I want to
25 > understand the reasoning behind the new rule. I may not agree to it and I
26 > can accept that, but it is entirely within my right to ask for
27 > clarification.
28
29 It's not right for every decision or action to be questioned and
30 justified. That will not lead to productivity. The trustees and
31 foundation do not have to answer to every member individually. In fact
32 given the structure, or lack their of. There is no one or nothing above
33 trustees, not council, etc. Just as the trustees are not over the
34 council.
35
36 So really trustees could do what they like, and only recourse would be
37 to not vote for them next time. Then to reverse anything after the fact.
38 No amount of questioning, bitching, protesting, etc. Will change the
39 trustees actions and opinions. Unless they allow it to.
40
41 Which that alone, one might say hey the bylaws should address that. But
42 instead of focusing on real sections of the bylaws and looking to
43 improve. We are nit picking on a minor section that is not likely to
44 effect many if any. Since in the history of Gentoo there has only been
45 one to be on both trustees and council. Which means it's not likely to
46 re-occur. So any rules preventing such are quite minor and pretty moot.
49 William L. Thomson Jr.
50 Gentoo Linux Developer