From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] drobbins can be nominated as a trustee
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:37:42
1 On 1/31/08, William L. Thomson Jr. <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
2 > Daniel,
3 >
4 > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 12:12 -0700, Daniel Robbins wrote:
5 > >
6 > > What is relevant to post here is that I thank Grant et al for
7 > > clarifying whether I was a valid nominee, and I did seriously consider
8 > > the offer, but ultimately decided that to what I think is necessary
9 > > would require fundamental changes to the way the Gentoo project is
10 > > structured which would have been very disruptive and difficult to make
11 > > even as a trustee, and it's not clear that I would have the ability to
12 > > make these changes as a trustee even if I were elected due to the
13 > > current structure of the project that I would have been required to
14 > > work within.
15 >
16 > Is it not worth it to you to try? Worse case you are limited and can't
17 > do what you like. But more than likely it's not all or nothing either
18 > way.
19 >
20 > > I also don't really feel comfortable with the concept of developers
21 > > voting to make decisions like this for the project. It doesn't seem to
22 > > yield good results or be a positive use of time, and I don't really
23 > > think the underlying concept is sound.
24 >
25 > Not to be argumentative or confrontational. But out of curiosity as I
26 > was not around the. Weren't you a participant in creating the structure
27 > we have now? Creation of the foundation, board of trustees, election
28 > process, etc.
29
30 One of my co-workers has a saying 'Trying things out is one of the
31 best ways to see if a thing works'. Just because he helped create the
32 structure we have today doesn't mean that structure was success; then
33 or now. Much of this involves experimentation. No one knows the best
34 way to manage a volunteer group of this size and we have to have some
35 sort of organization and we have to be smart enough and wise enough to
36 know when a solution is not working and work to fix it. Whether that
37 means incremental changes or more sweeping changes; I don't think
38 anyone knows ;)
39
40 -Alec
43 > > So by accepting the nomination
44 > > I would be participating and thus supporting a system that I
45 > > fundamentally don't agree with, and I can't see that as being a good
46 > > thing. At the very least, it doesn't sit well with me.
47 >
48 > Usually pretty hard to change anything externally. Usually much easier
49 > to make changes from within. If major, then broken down in to smaller
50 > baby steps. Change usually requires leadership, and if not in a position
51 > to lead. Makes any changes much more difficult to see through. IMHO
52 >
53 > --
54 > William L. Thomson Jr.
55 > Gentoo/amd64/Java