From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] drobbins can be nominated as a trustee
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 20:37:42
On 1/31/08, William L. Thomson Jr. <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
> Daniel, > > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 12:12 -0700, Daniel Robbins wrote: > > > > What is relevant to post here is that I thank Grant et al for > > clarifying whether I was a valid nominee, and I did seriously consider > > the offer, but ultimately decided that to what I think is necessary > > would require fundamental changes to the way the Gentoo project is > > structured which would have been very disruptive and difficult to make > > even as a trustee, and it's not clear that I would have the ability to > > make these changes as a trustee even if I were elected due to the > > current structure of the project that I would have been required to > > work within. > > Is it not worth it to you to try? Worse case you are limited and can't > do what you like. But more than likely it's not all or nothing either > way. > > > I also don't really feel comfortable with the concept of developers > > voting to make decisions like this for the project. It doesn't seem to > > yield good results or be a positive use of time, and I don't really > > think the underlying concept is sound. > > Not to be argumentative or confrontational. But out of curiosity as I > was not around the. Weren't you a participant in creating the structure > we have now? Creation of the foundation, board of trustees, election > process, etc.
One of my co-workers has a saying 'Trying things out is one of the best ways to see if a thing works'. Just because he helped create the structure we have today doesn't mean that structure was success; then or now. Much of this involves experimentation. No one knows the best way to manage a volunteer group of this size and we have to have some sort of organization and we have to be smart enough and wise enough to know when a solution is not working and work to fix it. Whether that means incremental changes or more sweeping changes; I don't think anyone knows ;) -Alec
> > > So by accepting the nomination > > I would be participating and thus supporting a system that I > > fundamentally don't agree with, and I can't see that as being a good > > thing. At the very least, it doesn't sit well with me. > > Usually pretty hard to change anything externally. Usually much easier > to make changes from within. If major, then broken down in to smaller > baby steps. Change usually requires leadership, and if not in a position > to lead. Makes any changes much more difficult to see through. IMHO > > -- > William L. Thomson Jr. > Gentoo/amd64/Java > >
-- gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-nfp] drobbins can be nominated as a trustee Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>