From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] robbat2 for Gentoo Trustee 2015-2016 term
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 20:42:26
1 I'd like to announce my intent to run as a Trustee of the Gentoo
2 Foundation once again (provided somebody will second my
3 self-nomination).
4
5 I took a break from being a trustee for personal reasons, but I'd like
6 to return to the mantle of ensuring Gentoo runs smoothly, and continues
7 to grow.
8
9 I have been a Gentoo developer since 2003, and led the Gentoo
10 Infrastructure team since 2007.
11
12 I have previously held office for Gentoo:
13 - Council Member: 2006-2007 term
14 - Foundation Trustee: 2009-2011 term
15 - Foundation Trustee: 2011-2013 term
16
17 I have also been appointed two Foundation roles
18 - Foundation: Infrastructure Liaison Officer, 2014/07-present
19 - Enables Infrastructure to spend it's own small budget ($USD
20 2K/year) as needed for servers and parts.
21 - Responsible for ensuring that sponsors have a useful path to
22 discuss matters with the trustees if needed.
23 - Foundation: Treasurer Assistant (Bookkeeping), 2015/06-present
24 - This is a very new position, to help the Treasurer with book-keeping
25 processes.
26
27 In 2009, I ran for the Foundation on a slate of improving our
28 transparency. I believe that goal was mostly accomplished in my prior
29 two terms.
30
31 For the next term, I want to consider two major things:
32 1. The recent delays in financial information availability (due to
33 real-life concerns experienced by our standing Treasurer) have suggested
34 to me that some further work to ensure continuance of the Foundation in
35 the face of such adversity would be beneficial. Better availability to
36 critical information and processes, so any unexpected loss of a single
37 trustee does potentially cripple the Foundation. I will not hold the
38 sole office of
39
40 2. After the success of the October 2012 Gentoo mini-conference in
41 Prague, I think that it would be beneficial to hold more Gentoo events
42 for the purpose of fostering developer growth.
43 - The events should ideally be co-located with another small open-source
44 event (the miniconf was co-located with a OpenSuSE conference).
45 - The locations should reflect that Gentoo developers are predominantly
46 in both North America and Europe. Perhaps alternating by year?
47 - Local committees/organizers will be required for the events, and
48 should be able to get further sponsorship for the events.
49 - The Foundation should commit to partial coverage of the event expenses
50 (I think a cap of $5K USD per event might be a good start).
51 - The Foundation will explicitly NOT cover the travel expenses of any
52 person: to avoid any benefits taxation issues and any concerns of
53 favouritism.
54 (if you have remarks on this, please start a new thread or wait until
55 I'm elected and formally raise the issue for the Foundation)
58 Robin Hugh Johnson
59 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead
60 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
61 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85