From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Question for Trustee Candidates
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 21:21:04
1 On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 09:03:16PM +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > Team,
3 >
4 > The present board is divided on the future of the Foundation.
5 > I have heard several options voiced by different board members.
6 >
7 > How do the candidates see the Foundations future?
8 >
9 > --
10 > Regards,
11 >
12 > Roy Bamford
13 > (Neddyseagoon) a member of
14 > elections
15 > gentoo-ops
16 > forum-mods
17 > arm64
18
19 Hi, Roy.
20
21 As you stated, each of us have our personal opinion/views on what should
22 become of the foundation.
23
24 For me, I would like to see us retain autonomy as a non-profit
25 organization while outsourcing the mundane work of finances, taxes, etc.
26 While I am not implying that "umbrellas" would deviate from our social
27 contract principles, I do believe there is an opportunity for it to
28 happen. As such, retaining autonomy allows *us* as Trustees to be
29 elected and appointed based on the electorate (our Foundation members).
30
31 If this is not feasible then joining an umbrella is my second choice.
32 There are many factors that drive this decision. Is it financially
33 feasible to retain bookkeeping, taxes, etc? Does retaining this negate
34 donations from the community or impede our ability to support infra etc?
35
36 Additionally, there needs to be much research into the umbrella
37 opportunities. Do they support our principles and ideals? Will they
38 intrude on our social contract or license choices?
39
40 Finally, as stated before, I believe the foundation has the sole
41 responsibility of providing financials, infrastructure, and supporting
42 the distribution that is governed daily by the council. There is (from
43 me) no intent to intrude on their responsibilities. For matters that
44 cross into the legal realm, we (council and trustees) have worked
45 together to solve these matters for the good of the distribution.
46
47 Let's finalize the taxes, reincorporate as a new non-profit, ensure
48 roles/responsibilitie are delineated in the by-laws, and continue making
49 Gentoo a distribution that folks want to run and be a part of. This
50 implies retaining the requried services, as stated above, to ensure we
51 do not fall into this tax situation again.
54 Cheers,
55 Aaron