From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 16:42:16
1 On 10/14/2016 12:33 PM, NP-Hardass wrote:
2 > On 10/14/2016 12:20 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
3 >> On 10/14/2016 10:43 AM, NP-Hardass wrote:
4 >>> On 10/14/2016 11:15 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>>> On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>>> This is why I oppose mooshing the roles together.
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>> An ebuild maintaining nerd/codemonkey type may have little interest in
9 >>>>> foundation politics, and vice versa. We should not force them to shoulder
10 >>>>> roles they don't want.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> As long as they're willing to play nice with the community, they should be
13 >>>>> allowed to offer their support in any way they see fit. I don't think
14 >>>>> putting vote quotas on anyone is going to help.
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>
17 >>>> It is a valid argument, but it does then lead to the situation where
18 >>>> we have diverging foundation and dev membership, which means that if
19 >>>> you post the same question to both groups, you could get different
20 >>>> answers, and thus conflict.
21 >>>>
22 >>>> However, this could be mitigated a great deal if we still purged
23 >>>> foundation members who are no longer active staff/devs, while keeping
24 >>>> foundation membership optional for those who are, and if somebody
25 >>>> loses foundation membership due to not voting they could ask to be
26 >>>> allowed back in. Then while somebody might not be voting for who the
27 >>>> Trustees are, they can't really complain because they need only ask
28 >>>> for the ability to vote for them, and crisis could be averted.
29 >>>>
30 >>>
31 >>> What exactly are the requirements for quorum as necessitated by NM law?
32 >>> How do explicit abstains from a vote affect that if they do? If
33 >>> explicit abstention is allowed, then make voting completely compulsory,
34 >>> and those that do not feel that they have a desire to put a filled
35 >>> ballot forward are required to submit a ballot of abstention. This
36 >>> might alleviate some of the concerns of developers being forced to vote
37 >>> for trustees, while still putting developers in a position where they
38 >>> have to weigh what degree they wish to weigh in on such a matter.
39 >>> IANAL, but my suspicion is that the law only mandates that a quorum be
40 >>> present, not that a quorum vote one way or another. According to this
41 >>> document [1], abstentions only affect votes where the
42 >>> quorum/majority/unanimity is required of *present* voters, thus votes
43 >>> where only quorum/majority/unanimity of total votes is required,
44 >>> abstention is removed entirely from the assessment of quorum for the
45 >>> decision itself.
46 >>>
47 >> I think I found it.
48 >>
49 >> http://www.sos.state.nm.us/uploads/files/Corporations/ch53Art11.pdf
50 >> page 93 - 53-11-32
51 >>
52 >> I wasn't able to find any info on abstaining. As far as I could tell a
53 >> 'rolling quorum' (just those present) can't make decisions.
54 >>
55 >> http://www.nmag.gov/uploads/files/Publications/ComplianceGuides/Open%20Meetings%20Act%20Compliance%20Guide%202015.pdf
56 >>
57 > My understanding (once again IANAL) of rolling quorum (along with some
58 > outside reading) is that it is when the discussions for a quorum are not
59 > held publicly during the meeting, but outside of the public meeting [1]
60 > "The quorum doesn’t need to be in the same room to hold a meeting; they
61 > might discuss public business in a series of e-mails or phone calls,
62 > over several days. This is called a rolling quorum, and it’s illegal
63 > unless the participants follow all the requirements of the Open Meetings
64 > Act."
65 >
66 > I should note, both of those links, the one from the previous email on
67 > the Open Meetings Act and [1] might just be for government/public
68 > organizations and not corporations. I'm really not sure. I was just
69 > doing my best to find something NM related XD
70 >>> Note, in the document from NM [2], I couldn't find specific reference to
71 >>> this (and we should speak to a lawyer), but there are some points where
72 >>> quorum is discussed of present members and some where it is discussed in
73 >>> relation to the entirety of the body.
74 >>>
75 >>> TL;DR: It might be possible to force all to vote, and but permit
76 >>> abstentions in the case of the trustees election. This might allow an
77 >>> easier time aligning the bodies while not forcing developers to forcibly
78 >>> vote where they might not have an opinion.
79 >>>
80 >>> Please note, the above might be worth looking into regardless of whether
81 >>> we align the voting bodies as it might make achieving a quorum in future
82 >>> votes more attainable.
83 >>>
84 >>>
85 >>>
86 >>> Regardless of quorum requirements, if we align the Foundation and Staff
87 >>> memberships, and make voting compulsory (within a 2 year period), it
88 >>> might be wise to loosen the voting periods to make it easier for members
89 >>> to vote, i.e. if voting is open for 2 weeks currently, make it open for
90 >>> 4 weeks as a month should be ample time to cast a vote, whether it be
91 >>> abstention (if allowed) or a filled ballot.
92 >>>
93 >>>
94 >>>
95 >> Altering what constitutes a quorum can only be done by altering the
96 >> articles of incorporation (as far as I can tell). We might be able to
97 >> extend the voting period though.
102 As an addendum: I think these two documents are what we'd want to look
103 at (For profit and ultimately non-profit corps)
104
105 http://www.sos.state.nm.us/uploads/files/Corporations/ch53Art11.pdf
106 http://www.sos.state.nm.us/uploads/files/Corporations/ch53Art8.pdf
107
108 I'll see what I can find in those later.
112 NP-Hardass