From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [Discussion] Refiling as a tax-exempt nonprofit.
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 00:37:29
1 On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 8:11 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 4:49 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> IMO this is a really bad idea. This basically hands legal control
5 >> over Gentoo to outsiders (at least in part). If we need their
6 >> expertise, why not have them do the work, but not place them on the
7 >> board? They could be made officers if necessary, since officers
8 >> legally don't have the final say over decisions.
11 >> IMO it would be better still to just hire them as employees and not
12 >> even make them officers. An officer merely needs to certify that
13 >> certain things were done correctly to the state - the officer doesn't
14 >> need to do them personally.
17 > From my perspective Gentoo was incorporated in 2004 and we didn't file taxes until 2019; 15 years later. My conclusion is that this is a problem. Maybe we can at least agree on that much. I would prefer to have confidence that in future, this problem will not recur. I'd nominally like to not be Foundation President forever as I keep a small corporation from imploding until I die. Maybe that's just me being selfish.
18 >
19 > So yes I think a solution to this problem is to find more board members; because ultimately the "business of the foundation" is the thing the board members are *accountable* for. If we don't file taxes it's *on the board*. If we don't defend the trademark it's *on the board*.
20
21 Keep in mind that a Foundation that is mostly non-functional isn't
22 actually a huge impediment to the operation of the distro.
23
24 Don't get me wrong - a well-working Foundation could be more of an
25 asset than it is today.
26
27 However, a well-working Foundation that is hostile to the contributors
28 could cause a LOT of harm.
29
30 >> > - We could try to recruit or modify the way individuals are recruiter as Gentoo Developers, to make it easier to attract board members.
31 >> >
32 >> > I'd like to also discuss whatever foundational changes we might make in a new set of bylaws besides simply board membership.
33 >>
34 >> I feel like we're having the tail wag the dog here. We're talking
35 >> about basically diluting the control of everybody who is recognized as
36 >> a contributor to bring in more outside people, in the hope that these
37 >> outsiders will file some paperwork.
38 >
39 > So for clarity, I'm suggesting that board members need not be foundation members. They would still be elected by the foundation members I'm not really following how this dilutes control...members had the same control as before?
40
41 You do realize that the Trustees can cast a single vote and remove
42 membership from every member except themselves, right? They can also
43 change anything in the Bylaws, including how they get elected, with a
44 simple vote.
45
46 They are limited to what is allowed by New Mexico law. However,
47 non-profits generally are legally run by the board for the most part.
48
49 For the members to override the board a great deal of effort is
50 required. For the board to strip all power from the members simply
51 requires a majority vote. Then if the members want to try to fight
52 they they would need to do so in court at their own expense, while the
53 Foundation would legally take the board's side and be able to use its
54 money to fight in court.
55
56 Such a battle is in practice fairly painful and not necessarily easy
57 to win. The board might be held to whether they're furthering the
58 stated mission of the Foundation, but that is relatively generic.
59
60 Have you ever seen a US corporation shareholder ballot? If there are
61 7 offices to be filled the board puts 7 names on the ballot and a
62 convenient box to vote for all of them, though you could vote for less
63 than all of them if you want to be a rebel. Forcing a name on the
64 ballot against the board's wishes is rather difficult.
65
66 And in a for-profit corporation the shareholders at least have a legal
67 property interest in their share of the profits, which makes it hard
68 to take away their shares without buying them out. In a non-profit no
69 such right to profits exists, which means that membership has no real
70 legal value, which reduces .
71
72 >> If all you care about is paperwork just dissolve the Foundation
73 >> entirely, because in the US we have thousands of corporations that all
74 >> file their paperwork on time. Lots of paperwork will still get done
75 >> without Gentoo. Plenty of it will be done by FOSS-oriented
76 >> non-profits too.
79 >> Gentoo doesn't exist to get paperwork done. The Foundation and the
80 >> necessary paperwork exist to facilitate the operation of the distro.
83 > I've no idea what you mean to convey here.
84
85 My point is that if Gentoo files all its taxes perfectly, and doesn't
86 serve the interests of the contributors, or actively works against
87 them, then the Foundation is useless or even harmful.
88
89 The paperwork exists to serve the distro, not the other way around.
90
91 >> Right now everybody the community recognizes as a significant
92 >> contributor automatically is eligible for membership in the
93 >> Foundation. If we're not recognizing significant contributors with
94 >> the "Developer" label then this should of course be fixed. However,
95 >> if somebody isn't contributing enough to be recognized as a regular
96 >> contributor then why would we want them to have a say in how the
97 >> distro is run?
98 >
99 > The Council runs the distribution, not the Foundation (or so I was led to believe ;))
100
101 Legally the Foundation has the ability to make things very difficult
102 for a non-compliant distribution, if they should be at odds.
103
104 Much of infra is the legal property of the Foundation. The name
105 "Gentoo" is as well. The Foundation can legally force infra and the
106 Council to cease and desist from using these, at least in the US, and
107 all the places where the US controls internet infrastructure (which is
108 basically everywhere in practice).
109
110 >> Also, if an "outsider" is really that interested in volunteering to
111 >> help Gentoo they really aren't an outsider anyway, and if they're
112 >> seriously contributing they can be designated as a developer, as the
113 >> ebuild quiz is not required to become a Developer. Just let
114 >> themselves immerse themselves in the community first before putting
115 >> them in charge.
116 >
117 > I think my second suggestion was this, so we agree on that as a possibility?
120 I don't think anybody around here has a problem with getting more
121 people to contribute, whether via commits or in other ways. People
122 who are invested as contributors are already allowed to vote for and
123 run for Trustee positions.
124
125 Really my goal is to make sure we don't end up with a dichotomy where
126 the Foundation is governed by business-types and the Council is
127 governed by technical experts. That would have a lot of potential for
128 conflict, and often this results in the technical aspects of the
129 project becoming subservient.
130
131 What large FOSS non-profit has the technical leaders ultimately in
132 charge? Heck, the FSF ousted its founder and prophet not long ago.
133 If the people you hire to write press releases and pay your taxes can
134 boot out RMS, what hope does a typical Gentoo council member have?
135 Don't get me wrong - they always have really good reasons for doing
136 it, and they'll have good reasons for doing it here as well.
137
138 Yes, we do need to pay our taxes. Nobody disputes that. However, we
139 really need to make sure that the tail isn't wagging the dog.
142 Rich