From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Nominee manifestos?
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 21:59:02
1 On 07/11/2017 03:48 PM, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike) wrote:
2 > El 11/07/17 a las 22:47, Rich Freeman escribió:
3 >> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> I understand that Trustees have a different role than Council members,
5 >>> but given the difficulties in resolving some organizational issues for
6 >>> the Foundation over the years, wouldn't it be easier for Foundation
7 >>> members to choose their candidate(s) with some idea of what the
8 >>> candidate(s) intend to do as Trustee? I see the wiki page for the
9 >>> election includes a field for a manifesto, yet no nominee has one.
10 >>>
11 >>> It may give the Foundation a little momentum and encourage
12 >>> participation. Thoughts?
13 >> ++ - in general I find it difficult to rank anybody over
14 >> reopen-nomination if they can't be bothered to describe their goals.
15 >> I don't see why it would be any less important for Trustees than
16 >> Council members.
17 >>
18 > I did send my manifesto on my acceptance e-mail:
19 >
20 > "Don't expect void promises or long copy pasted wikipedia articles this
21 > time though. If I'm elected I'll just do what I can to keep Gentoo being
22 > the most awesome distro ever"
23 >
24 > I know it is three lines but I'm kind of in a complex spot here as I
25 > still don't have enough experience on the board to know what can or
26 > can't be promised (being doable) nor want to make void empty promises I
27 > can't accomplish. So here are the things that are under my control:
28 > * I'll try my best to attend the meetings.
29 > * I'll try my best to keep Gentoo awesome.
30 > * I won't pick up the money and run :P
31 >
32 > Quite a mediocre statement, but I don't expect to be excelent, just good
33 > enough ;)
34 >
35 > Klondike
38 To be fair, I don't think anyone's looking for *promises*. :) That's a
39 recipe for disappointment in libre software. Knowing someone's goals is
40 generally enough. However, if you don't mind, could you share how you'd
41 like to keep Gentoo awesome? I'd like to know more about what parts of
42 Gentoo you think are great, your experience with the distro, and a few
43 values of leadership you feel are important.
44
45 I can appreciate the simplicity angle, so short answers are totally
46 fine. The reason I'm asking is to learn more about you and the other
47 nominees. It might even help nominees figure out what their "platform"
48 and goals are, which means a better Gentoo, imo.
49
50 ~zlg
51 --
52 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
53 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
54 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6