From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: trustees <trustees@g.o>, gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, infra <infra@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Communication with Foundation Members
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:32:38
1 It is both a practical and a legal requirement that the Foundation have
2 a means of communicating with its members. Because Gentoo and the
3 Gentoo Foundation do all their work via such media as IRC, email, and
4 the forums, this really means we must have a mailing list to which all
5 Foundation members are subscribed.
6
7 Roy (NeddySeagoon) believes that this should be a mailing list whose
8 distribution is exactly the Foundation members and to which only the
9 trustees and officers of the foundation may post. After thinking about
10 it for a bit, I agree with him. This would be a very low traffic list
11 because it would be restricted to critical communications from the
12 Foundation to its members. (Think of it as a mailing to stockholders,
13 because that is actually what it is.)
14
15 So, I suggest we establish a new mailinglist (say,
16 foundation-announce@g.o) and make sure that all members are
17 subscribed to it. I further suggest that we maintain a small list of
18 people who may post to the list so that only communications from the
19 Foundation to its members are sent to it. This fulfills our obligation
20 to be able to send required announcements to the membership (announcing
21 elections, questions put to the membership for approval, and such like).
22 It has the side benefit of giving us immediate validation of the email
23 addresses we have on record for our members and allows us to correct (if
24 possible) any stale email addresses. (If yours changes but you don't
25 tell us, we have no way of knowing unless we send something to you.)
26
27 Comments? Please respond rather quickly, because as those of you who
28 follow Foundation actions know, we are opening nominations for two
29 trustee positions in a bit over a week.
30
31 Thanks and regards,
32 Ferris
33 --
34 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
35 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)