From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] What could the Gentoo Foundation do with money?
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 04:26:24
1 On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 20:56 -0700, Ned Ludd wrote:
4 > I'm glad you are not the treasurer.
5
6 FYI, allot of these ideas wrt to spending other peoples money given to
7 the foundation. I doubt would even be made by the board alone, much less
8 just the treasurer. These types of funding items would likely be voted
9 on before added to any budget.
10
11 I have little interest in acting on such things alone, which includes
12 just the board doing what they feel is best. I am all for democracy and
13 giving other people the chance to chime in like now ;)
14
15 > > 8. Increase schwag and freebie stuff to give away at events
16 >
17 > This does not actually make the distro any better.
18
19 True, but makes recipients happy :) It makes things fun. Like for
20 example, those little sticky throw things that OpenNMS gives out. No
21 point, just fun :) No one even pays attention to the logo. But they are
22 fun to throw at people, in the office etc.
25 > > 12. Provide hardware to devs working on certain areas, device
26 > > drivers etc ( like buying a bunch of video cards for those
27 > > supporting binary drivers, or odd/expensive hardware )
28 >
29 > This is a tricky area. Many rules of eligibly would have to be setup
30 > and may cause internal conflicts/jealousy among devs getting all
31 > the pretty/cool toys.
32
33 Agreed, and that hardware would be Gentoo owned. There would have to be
34 some agreement that they actually use it for development etc. Not just
35 hoard it to play games, etc.
36
37 > > 13. Buy licenses to commercial apps so we can package and make
38 > > ebuilds available for them.
39 >
40 > I would be strongly opposed to #13
41
42 I am not a huge fan of that one. Just an idea. After all we might be
43 able to leverage future licenses for free. If many of their users start
44 running their product/application on Gentoo. So that might encourage
45 greater use of Gentoo for deploying commercial apps.
46
47 Granted it could expose those apps to a whole can of worms. I think that
48 might daunt some companies. Which if we were paying customers. They
49 might be more open to patches, improvements, etc. Double edged sword.
50
51 Again I am not looking to totally go crazy with other peoples money.
52 Which any foundation funds obviously are.
53
54 > > 14. Provide FREE release media
55 >
56 > We already do this.
57
58 No in physical form. We distribute it in electronic form. I am saying
59 what if we could have a budget to send out X amount of cds for free each
60 year. Person just pays shipping, and orders are limited to 1-5 or
61 something. That way people can't go crazy.
62
63 Branded media on cd's with covers etc. That look semi professional. Why
64 have such a killer distro, distributed on burned cds? Works to hand to
65 your buddy/colleague/relative/etc, but professionally? Would you take a
66 burned cd to your boss/employer/random stranger and say here, run
67 this. :)
68
69 > > 15. Marketing and promotional materials ( flyers to hand out at
70 > > events, banners, booth displays, etc )
71 >
72 > Tree hater..
73
74 No arms, no reach around, so screw the trees. Who says we use paper?
75 Let's use plastic, which comes from oil. Much better idea. ;)
78 William L. Thomson Jr.
79 amd64/Java/Trustees
80 Gentoo Foundation