From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Questions re mgorny trustee manifesto
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 01:59:04
1 Dear Michał,
2
3 I have read your your manifesto for election as Trustee, and have some
4 questions about issue you raise there. They also impact what you think
5 of the Council's work, and I believe a public thread can help clarify
6 both your positions, as well as others who might be running for
7 positions in council or trustees.
10 > 1. Gentoo should be self-governing, and the Foundation should support
11 > it. Think of it as a good parent that cares about the well-being
12 > of its child but lets it make its own decisions and make its own
13 > mistakes.
14 If the mistakes have legal consequences:
15 1.i. To what extent have you examined which of the involved parties have
16 individual & joint liabilities for those mistakes?
17 1.ii. Aside from the legalities of HOW to share the joint & individual
18 liabilities, how do you THINK the liabilities should be shared?
19
20 > 1.a. ...
21 > Example: Council decides that <init1> is not worth supporting
22 > anymore, and developers should focus on <init2> anymore.
23 > 1.c. ...
24 > Example: Council decides that <init1> is not worth supporting.
25 > However, a developer requests a bounty for improving status
26 > of <init1>.
27 (And also 1.c. which has the same premise)
28
29 I agree with your "GOOD" responses here: they are clear that there should
30 be dialogue & compromise, while your "BAD" responses are basically
31 unilateral actions by the Trustees.
32
33 What worries me is the level of power that you ascribe to the council
34 over developers & projects.
35
36 Can you clarify your implication here that the Council can demand
37 developers remove or otherwise stop supporting a package by Council
38 decree?
39
40 Short of legal reasons to do so, I believe that this would set a
41 dangerous precedent directly.
42
43 Gentoo has a historical practice of permitting developers to support
44 whatever they want to work on, provided it doesn't directly conflict
45 with other packages: Users should have the CHOICE of both init1 & init2
46 as long as developers are willing to maintain them.
47
48 The bounty would need specific careful wording regardless, and would
49 have to be free of conflict of interest. E.g. ensure that init1 remains
50 a choice in Gentoo.
51
52 The same should apply to architectures, not just packages.
53 Should the council be able to unilateral decide, despite a developer's
54 intentions, that an architecture is no longer supported at all?
55 Can the developer submit funding requests for new hosts in that
56 architecture that live in the racks at OSL?
57
58 > 2. Transparency is important. Trustees should clearly inform
59 > the community what is happening, what are they doing, what
60 > the outcome of meetings is, in proper human-intended messages.
61 > The notable exception of what can't be revealed due to law
62 > or contracts.
63 To be clear, you're happy as long as the outcome is transparent?
64 Contract discussions are usually considered sensitive to business needs, and
65 generally not public, even if most of the contract outcome is public in the
66 end.
67
68 What do you think that the Trustees can do to better convey ongoing trustee
69 activity, that occurs between meetings, and/or in the absence of meetings?
70
71 Years ago, I ran for a trustee position on a manifesto of increasing
72 transparency. Retrospectively, I feel that I only made a little progress into
73 the overall scope of the issue.
74
75 > 3. Trustees were split around the world so far, and in the last term
76 > they practically failed to meet. Ideally, Trustees should try
77 > to arrange regular open meetings with the community. However,
78 > if that becomes cumbersome they should focus on asynchronous
79 > communications (mail) and/or smaller meetings, with votes being
80 > done via mail or bugs. Inability to arrange regular meetings
81 > must not paralyze the Foundation.
82 As Antarus pointed out elsewhere, only the AGM is formally required by law, and
83 it must be open.
84
85 I think that the asynchronous structure, and smaller non-formal private setting
86 used in the latest term helped a lot towards actual progress on events. The
87 down-side as you raised in point 2, is that there was very little transparency
88 to it.
89
90 As the first concrete example, the matter of retaining Corporate Capital CPA
91 was discussed heavily on the internal trustees@ alias, as well as the
92 trustees-only IRC channel. The discussions included our own prep for the two
93 phone calls with the CPA (preparing various documentation they asked for on
94 bylaws, articles of incorporation, financial statements, prior IRS
95 interactions), back-channel during the phone calls, notes during the phone
96 calls, and the actual recording of the calls.
97
98 The two resulting motions [exploration with IRS, and filing preperations] were
99 on bugzilla & email.
100
101 The Nitrokey business discussions and implementation discussions were ALSO
102 similarly opaque, leading the this impression of 'failed to meet' meaning
103 'paralyzed'.
104
105 > 4. & 5. (discussion of the future legal structure of the NFP)
106 I think we should cross that bridge when we get to it, and continue efforts on
107 the things needed to GET to either of these outcomes. Make sure the present
108 efforts are lost or stalled as much as possible.
109
110 To that end, I need to write a message to the -project list looking for any
111 existing developers with both book-keeping skills & some time on their hands to
112 help wrangle the raw FY2019 data.
113
114 > 6. We should aim to minimize the split between non-Foundation
115 > and Foundation part of Gentoo. This is already partially solved
116 > by requiring Trustees to be Gentoo developers. The next logical step
117 > is to require all Foundation members to be developers as well.
118 > This involves working with Council/Recruiters to extend developer
119 > status for Foundation members interested in it.
120 I say here that I'm going to agree to disagree with you on the concept, while
121 willing to discuss the nuances of implementation.
122
123 I think that membership SHOULD be wider than the developer base, provided that
124 all members are individuals (no corporations should be members). This primarily
125 has impacts in fund-raising: Look at the membership & corporate sponsors of the
126 ASF. The many but not all of ASF corporate sponsors have or had at least one
127 individual who is or was a member of the ASF. The members MAY contribute in
128 non-coding ways, but might be as simple as voting on issues that are the
129 concern of their employer [I have heard hearsay about bloc-voting behaviors
130 within the ASF, but I have nothing to corroborate them].
131
132 Membership should conveys a vested interest in the actions of the Foundation,
133 and the outcomes in Gentoo Linux.
134
135 If your intent is to create an "easy" route to Foundation members to gain
136 developer status, and changing undertakers practices in the process, then
137 please count me as interested in your proposal.
138
139 As a first step, how about move undertakers to taking away unused commit bits,
140 but not dropping people from being developers. Don't worry about "@gentoo.org"
141 being a status signifier.
144 Robin Hugh Johnson
145 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
146 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
147 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
148 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136