From: John Lawles <jl.050877@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Communicate a plan to the users
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:57:08
1 While the admin issues seem to be under control, I have not
2 read here any response to the rest of the issues raised by
3 drobbins. His various blog posts have identified key problems and
4 proposed some solutions. Judging by the forums, gentoo users, up
5 to maybe 90%, see the same problems as important. Do the
6 developers agree with his list of problems and, if so, what are
7 your proposed solutions?
8
9 It seems to me that users, like me, would be much more patient
10 if we knew that the developers saw the same problems we see and had
11 a plan for going forward. For all I know, you may have solutions
12 vastly superior to drobbins' proposals. Before you decline his
13 offer, though, it would nice to hear what those solutions are.
14
15 What I have read on this list is that some are confident of
16 near-term lock-in, e.g. "migration isn't in your near future"
17 because of the "manhours of ... configuring," etc. If you want
18 end-users to have confidence in gentoo, you need to project a
19 different message.
20
21 Drobbins talks of the culture gap between gentoo developers
22 and gentoo users. The contrast between this list and forums
23 indicates that he is right. A little bit of communication on the
24 part of the developers here might go a long ways toward fixing
25 this.
26
27 </2cents>
30 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list