From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Developer Crypto Hardware (AGM)
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 04:09:00
1 Hi!
2
3 On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 09:42:28 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 7:26 PM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > No, it doesn't. The cost of extracting a key from a stolen token is
7 > > approximately $1000 depending on a token model.
10 > I'll have to ask for a citation on that one.
11
12 Fine.
13
14 First and foremost source is already available from web archive
15 only:
16 https://web.archive.org/web/20180710200252/https://community.st.com/thread/46432-hacking-readout-protection-on-stm32
17
18 Some technical details:
19 https://www.aisec.fraunhofer.de/en/FirmwareProtection.html
20
21 Some services and prises:
22 http://www.ic-cracker.com/
23 http://www.unlock-ic.com/
24 https://russiansemiresearch.com/en/service/#read_prot
25
26 It doesn't matter if chips inside some tokens are not on the list
27 above, this is the industry wide problem. Physically there is no
28 such device as read protected memory cell. Only technological size
29 of the cell provides some minimal protection: it is easier to read
30 500 nm cell than 20 nm. That's all. No further protection is or may
31 be available.
32
33 Furthermore I hope you understand that not all information is
34 available via clearnet links and not everything is disclosured on
35 the net due to NDA or similar agreements. The real state of matter
36 is much worse than in the links above and industry for reading
37 "protected" devices is well established, growing and affordable.
38
39 The only possible way to protect from such attacks is not to store
40 unencrypted key material on token at all, e.g. have it password
41 protected, temporary save unencrypted bits only in RAM and guarantee
42 that RAM cells and all aux registers will be securely wiped out
43 without any residual storage after its usage. I don't know such
44 devices though, since all of them rely on principle "one can't read
45 bits from our storage".
46
47 > I think the satellite TV industry did quite a bit to make hardware
48 > tokens VERY resistant to tampering.
49
50 Sorry what? Satellite TV is quite trivial to break without any
51 preacquired tokens at all. Its encryption is busted by design.
52
53 > Maybe a few state actors could
54 > defeat them, but if Chinese intelligence needed to infiltrate us I'm
55 > sure they'd figure out a way to do it. The NSA probably has a hard
56 > enough time keeping them out of stuff.
57
58 Ha-ha. As Mr. Snowden have shown NSA can't even control its own
59 data.
60
61 > IMO the main threat model for Gentoo is the script kiddie who wants to
62 > stick rm -rf / in all our ebuilds, and actually knows how to do it
63 > correctly. Unless we move to a model that has much more sophisticated
64 > QA (release-based, peer-review, CI, etc) we're not going to be defeat
65 > more complex attacks, because right now any Gentoo dev with commit
66 > access can basically do whatever they want, and becoming a dev isn't
67 > that hard for somebody who is determined.
68
69 IMO you are trying to mix technical and social problems here. Indeed
70 determined individual may infiltrate any free software organization
71 accepting new members (or buy some long-term developer, or force
72 them via some secret court gag order), but an impact from such
73 infiltration will be likely limited to a single attack which will
74 result in administrative (e.g. kicking out) and possibly legal
75 action and preparation for such attack will require too much time
76 and money, so gain-to-effort ratio will be quite low.
77
78 > I'm not saying that tokens are uber-powerful or that they're a waste.
79 > They have some pros/cons. On the whole they're probably a good idea,
80 > but honestly the fact that devs are going to have to pay to return
81 > them/etc limits their value, especially since the whole openpgp
82 > smartcard standard already limits their utility quite a bit, and key
83 > recovery is still a tricky problem for orgs where people don't
84 > routinely see each other in person or at least know each other by
85 > voice.
86
87 I fully agree that tokens are just another layer of security. But
88 sometimes additional security layers reduce practical security due
89 to social effects: e.g. cyclist wearing good helmets and other
90 protection are inclined to more dangerous driving since they have
91 a false sense of being secure in a good helmet. The same with
92 hardware tokens: their users are often less careful with other
93 measures like password hygiene or strength because they imply they
94 are well protected by a token already.
95
96 Best regards,
97 Andrew Savchenko