From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Tax return and accounting discrepancies
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 19:50:54
1 On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 15:23 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > Is there a clear statement somewhere of the actual legal requirements?
4
5 Yes, visit the IRS and State of New Mexico's website. But anyone living
6 in the US should be aware of legal requirements for individuals, much
7 less business entities, be it for profit or not.
8
9 I spent time before providing such information and documentation. At
10 this time its not my duty or requirement to do such. Thus I will leave
11 that up to others, who's duty it is ;)
12
13 > I'd recommend just having a simple webpage that lists each
14 > requirement, and how it was met for auditing purposes - keep fluff to
15 > a minimum.
16
17 This stuff is not simple and it why the Gentoo Foundation should have a
18 CPA, long ago. An effort I was actively working on just like the bank
19 account and the rest.
20
21 > Is there any controversy over the requirements, or is there a
22 > consensus that we have a problem here?
23
24 I am sure the IRS and state of New Mexico would care the mandated
25 requirements are not being fulfilled.
26
27 > Certainly interested in an answer to this. The way I read it was that
28 > sometime in the past there was a problem and the correction just makes
29 > the register reflect reality. That might not be something we can fix.
30
31 At what point in the past? There needs to be specifics there, not just
32 some general statement. This is not anyones money, but alls money.
33 Therefore there needs to be accountability for all to see, and there
34 won't be any questions.
35
36 > Any suggestions as to solution? Hiring a CPA as a part-time treasurer
37 > might be a solution - if we can afford it.
38
39 If the foundation wants to remain as such and have control over it's
40 assets and IP, remain a legal entity. Then it must retain a CPA, and
41 file the mandated annual reports and financial statements.
42
43 Back when I was on the board, I was talking to Danial about using his
44 CPA. Which given that Gentoo can afford to buy hardware, and received
45 $20k in donations last year. I think it can easily afford a CPA, which
46 is crucial to Gentoo remaining a legal entity.
47
48 > Not having time to submit a report is one problem. Issuing checks and
49 > not recording it in the register is a different problem. The latter
50 > is something we really can't accept. I'm not sure that is the actual
51 > problem here.
52
53 There has been many problems.
54
55 > The lack of reporting probably stems from one of a few possible causes:
56 > 1. There is not agreement the work needs to be done (perhaps rightly
57 > or wrongly).
58
59 Who is questioning the federal and state requirements? This is not
60 something to disagree on, and anyone who does disagree, clearly is
61 unqualified.
62
63 > 2. There is not a clear and agreed-upon owner for the task.
64
65 Um, Treasurer.... That is an officer's role, title, and duties fall
66 within. Since the foundation has a horrible structure, Trustees end up
67 serving as officers. But that should not be the case. They should be two
68 different bodies.
69
70 > 3. The owner has not carried out the task (which itself can have a
71 > few root causes).
72
73 Again this was the reason I resigned. I knew this was not going to get
74 done, and others were standing in my way of getting things done. Wasting
75 my time, giving me grief about various things, which ended up effecting
76 my behavior as frustration mounted up.
77
78 I was accused of hurting Gentoo, suspended etc. All the while ignoring
79 major things that were even more harmful to Gentoo as a whole, both then
80 and now.
81
82 > One thing we should strongly consider is that if we don't have time to
83 > legally document an action, then we probably shouldn't perform the
84 > action.
85
86 You have no choice on this stuff. You are running for the board and you
87 should know this stuff. Or not run for the board if you are not
88 qualified for such.
89
90 > If accepting a check involves 18 hours of paperwork, then we
91 > might consider whether the check ought to be accepted at all.
92
93 Then why does the foundation exist at all?
94
95 The flip side is how will that money be spent, and what impact that will
96 have over what period of time. You will likely find out that the benefit
97 completely outweighs the cost. Which is some what the entire idea behind
98 a non-profit foundation.
99
100 > Also,where possible we should do the paperwork first (update the total on
101 > the reports, then accept the check).
102
103 To someone who is familiar with accounting, doing those tasks is
104 mundane.
105
106 > Kind of like stable the dependencies before you stable the package.
107
108 Some what, but if your unfamiliar with that process it could take
109 considerable time and been seen as a burden. While others just do it so
110 fast, its moot to them ;)
111
112 > A report is easy at the start of the reporting period - copy balance
113 > forward from last period, activities are all zero, end balance is
114 > equal to start.
115
116 Problem is neglect has gone on for so many years. Each year that passes
117 is just one more to play catch up up. Things were quite behind in 2008,
118 and now in 2011, only more so.
119
120 > Might not hurt to use something like Google docs with backups to
121 > facilitate/etc.
122
123 Thats pretty irrelevant, but many things could be leveraged.
126 William L. Thomson Jr.
127 Obsidian-Studios, Inc.
128 http://www.obsidian-studios.com