From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 02:45:37
1 TL;DR: Unless a specific "evil" person/organization/entity is trying to
2 interact with Gentoo AND it's on restricted grounds AND we know they are
3 bad, we have no large concerns.
4
5 The devil is in the details.
6
7 On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 04:39:32PM -0600, Matthew Thode wrote:
8 > 3. US Embargo.
9 >
10 > We are already a US organization, that, in my non-lawyer mind, means
11 > we already have to deal with this. Just because a developer is a member
12 > of the project and not directly under the foundation does not mean the
13 > foundation can ignore US embargo policy.
14 >
15 > That said, I don't really think this has been a problem in the past and
16 > will likely not be a problem in the future.
17 As the person that has looked into this issue the most, with actual
18 legal counsel backing my answer, I will provide my definitive answer.
19
20 The research was triggered by a potential developer from a previously
21 sanctioned country. It was made moot by said person moving to the US.
22 They did not join us a developer however, citing lack of time after
23 moving.
24
25 The following definition based on the state of most broad sanctions
26 being replaced by very targeted sanctions in most cases, against
27 whatever the US government doesn't want to happen (arms dealers, russian
28 oil, WMDs etc.)
29
30 The Foundation, as a US entity,
31 1. CANNOT _knowingly_
32 1.1 do business with or
33 1.2. have as a member
34 2. ANY entity
35 2.1. corporation,
36 2.2. organization
37 2.3. individual
38 3. Is covered by ANY of the following:
39 3.1. US BIS Denied Persons list [1]
40 3.2. US Federal Regulations (15)(B)(VII)(C)(744) [2]
41 3.3. US Department of State Trade Controls [3][4]
42 3.4. US Department of Treasury Specially Designated Nationals [5]
43 3.5. US Consolidated Screening List [6]
44 4. In certain cases, specific exemptions to the above CAN be applied
45 for.
46
47 For some background, see [10]
48
49 [1] https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/the-denied-persons-list
50 [2] http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&SID=9ae4a21068f2bd41d4a5aee843b63ef1&ty=HTML&h=L&n=15y2.1.3.4.28&r=PART#15:2.1.3.4.28.0.1.23.42
51 [3] http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/debar.html
52 [4] http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/debar_admin.html
53 [5] https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/SDN-List/Pages/default.aspx
54 [6] http://2016.export.gov/ecr/eg_main_023148.asp
55 [10] https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/faqs#faq_104
58 > 4. Why is the existing model bad? (more info)
59 >
60 > We have two voting pools that can be divergent in their goals. What
61 > would happen if the foundation wanted x and the council wanted !x?
62 >
63 > 5. We should have a BDFL (more or less)
64 >
65 > I don't agree with this personally and it is not the goal of this
66 > proposal to move to that model.
67 >
68 > 6. Liability increase by having all devs be members of the Foundation.
69 >
70 > William summed it up pretty well, 'working on the project makes you
71 > and the project more liable than being a member'.
72 >
73 > 7. Exclusion of the community.
74 >
75 > I don't think this is as much a problem as people think. The
76 > definition of 'developer' changed about a year ago to mean what used to
77 > be 'staff or developer'. So anyone who is what used to be called staff
78 > (which I think people applying to the foundation should probably be
79 > considered) would have representation (through their vote).
80 >
81 > 8. Merging the voting pools.
82 >
83 > The process for this will be better defined in the next version of the
84 > proposal.
85 >
86 > 9. Members of the 'board' having conflicts with their job.
87 >
88 > I'm, not sure about this as it's likely case by case. But I
89 > personally don't see this causing much more issues than what is already
90 > caused by working on an open source project.
91 >
92 > --
93 > Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)
102 Robin Hugh Johnson
103 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
104 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
105 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
106 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136