From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [Discussion] Refiling as a tax-exempt nonprofit.
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 11:36:14
1 On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 6:19 PM Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera
2 (klondike) <klondike@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > El 21/7/20 a las 13:47, Rich Freeman escribió:
5 > > Splitting resources between the e.V. and Foundation is
6 > > another way of mitigating risk as long as those orgs have no legal
7 > > connection. Having mirrors that are completely personally owned by a
8 > > few different community members and which don't have "Gentoo" anywhere
9 > > in their name is another way of mitigating risk.
10 >
11 > Take into account that there are a few GDPR provisions to take into account when transferring personal data to a third party, specially if you have no connection to it.
12
13 True. There are workarounds though.
14
15 One would include having people independently provide their personal
16 data to anybody who needs it so that they don't have to transfer it
17 between themselves.
18
19 Another would be to have a non-EU-based entity collect the data and
20 avoid owning any infra in the EU, and they would disseminate the data
21 further, so that they wouldn't fall under EU jurisdiction. That isn't
22 to say that we wouldn't treat personal data with care - just that
23 there would be no red tape around it to demonstrate compliance to an
24 external regulator.
25
26 I would minimize collection of personal data in any case. You don't
27 have to protect info you don't collect, and you can contain what info
28 you do have to those entities that require it. Even if the eV has
29 somebody's address to pay them for something, we don't need to share
30 that with whatever entity is running a mailing list or bugzilla
31 server.
34 Rich