From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Foundation Routine Trivia
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 22:36:14
On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 21:18 +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
I agree, and we can add this as a requirement to the meetings section of the by laws. Which I will see about commenting on ASAP. I have several thoughts there.
> I also propose that the January meeting be our Annual General Meeting, > which is a legal requirement. Its here we accept the reports from the > officers (that's us) and kick off the election process. That fits > nicely with elections.
Legalities aside, I am not sure the election process has been tied to a meeting. I wasn't sure about that annual meeting section. Which I also feel we need a monthly meeting section. Not to mention the stipulation of a published meeting calendar in advance.
> There is a counter argument that says the AGM should be June 15th as > out tax year ends on 30 June. Please discuss. > Whatever we decide, others that follow will be stuck with.
That might be something to get some advice on, from either a CPA or tax attorney. I am not sure if there are liabilities to the changing of guard mid year. With the new ones assuming liabilities from the previous administration. Depends on how much we indemnify the trustees from their actions in later sections. If per say 0 liability, likely moot, as long as things don't get screwed up wrt to paper work and filings at year end. Due to change of guard mid fiscal year.
> 2. We need to get a few words in the GMN every month. With fixed > meetings, they can be in forthcoming events every issue. > We also need to follow the council example and advertise logs and > summaries. That sounds like the secretaries job to me.
+1 More throwing Tom under the bus :) Surely not on purpose, should be fairly light weight. We don't need much in GMN but regular info on what the foundation is up to, etc.
> We need to establish a routine and this sort of stuff helps.
And we can add it to the by laws ;) -- William L. Thomson Jr. amd64/Java/Trustees Gentoo Foundation