From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 13:37:32
1 On Sat, 2019-07-13 at 13:18 +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > On 2019.07.13 13:12, Roy Bamford wrote:
3 > > Team,
4 > >
5 > > This is a meta topic to collect Questions For Gentoo Foundation
6 > > Trustee Candidates together.
7 >
8 > We have several candidates with a declared platform of dissolving
9 > the Gentoo foundation.
10
11 This is already answered in my Manifesto [1] but I'll repeat here for
12 completeness.
13
14 > 1. Will all candidates make their position on the future of the Foundation
15 > clear.
16
17 I'm for dissolving the Foundation in favor of professional umbrella if
18 such an opportunity arises (unless the offer is very bad). If this
19 turns out not to be possible, I believe we should aim towards
20 maintaining good standing forward, look for a ways to reduce the costs
21 of maintaining it and look for the possibility of making donations tax-
22 deducible (if we are really able of supporting that).
23
24 > 2. Will all candidates explain the reasoning supporting their position
25 > on their future plans for the existence (or otherwise) of the Foundation.
26
27 The reasoning is simple. We haven't been able to maintain Foundation
28 in really good standing *for years*. Even if we are closing to
29 *finally* fix things, it mostly relies on a few people putting a lot of
30 work, and this means low bus factor. There's no way to know that
31 a future Trustee board won't mess everything up again, and we still
32 barely have any candidates in the elections.
33
34 We should look for solutions that are sustainable long-term, and not
35 base our decisions on nostalgia.
36
37 [1] https://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/trustee-manifesto-2019.txt
40 Best regards,