From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Potential Bylaw violation in 2017 Foundation member removal
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 18:45:40
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 I have recently noticed that Trustees have been removing active Gentoo
4 developers from the Foundation. This has at least taken place before
5 the 2017/2018 Trustee election. I would therefore like to request
6 Trustees to reply to that in context of Foundation Bylaws.
9 To be more specific, Bylaw 4.4 states (emphasis mine):
10
11 Section 4.4. Continuation of Membership
12
13 *Full members who remain Gentoo developers shall have their
14 membership continued until it is terminated in accordance
15 with 4.8 or 4.9.*
16
17 Full members who retire from the Gentoo project shall have there
18 membership continued while they indicate that they remain interested
19 in the affairs of the Foundation unless their membership is terminated
20 in accordance with 4.8 or 4.9.
21
22 Criteria for loss of interest in the foundation shall be determined by
23 the trustees, from time to time. [1]
24
25 For the record, 4.8 and 4.9 are, appropriately:
26
27 Section 4.8. Voluntary Withdrawal from Membership
28
29 Members may withdraw from membership in the foundation at any time
30 upon thirty (30) days' written, signed notice delivered to an officer
31 of the foundation, which notice may be by cryptographically signed
32 electronic mail with a valid signature.
33
34 Section 4.9. Termination from Membership.
35
36 Membership may be terminated by a majority vote of the board of
37 trustees in the event that any member acts contrary to the purpose(s)
38 of the Gentoo Foundation.
39
40 The Bylaws therefore clearly state that active Gentoo developers remain
41 Foundation members until they *voluntarily* withdraw their membership,
42 or act contrary to the purposes of Foundation. Removal as a result of
43 'loss of activity' applies only to retired developers.
46 Now, in May of 2015 the Foundation member list have been updated with
47 a number of members being removed (with no comment suggesting why
48 the update took place) [2]. According to data on file (LDAP), among
49 the removed Foundation members there were 10 active Gentoo developers
50 at the time:
51
52 - deathwing00
53 - djc
54 - flameeyes
55 - hattya
56 - jkt
57 - rafaelmartins
58 - scarabeus
59 - titanofold
60 - xmw
61 - yngwin
62
63 Even if we assume that some of those people were already in process of
64 being retired (or considered for retirement) at the time, this leaves 5
65 developers who are still active today.
66
67 I have confirmed that the people listed above were also removed from
68 voter list for 2017/2018 Trustee election [3]. Apparently the decision
69 was made during the 20170326 meeting, and was approved by positive vote
70 from all Trustees [4][5].
73 So why were you removing active Gentoo developers, contrary
74 to the Bylaws? Were you unaware of Bylaws by which the Foundation
75 operates? Or did you fail to verify the list?
76
77 What should be done about developers who were unjustly removed? What
78 should be done about Trustees elected in 2017/2018 election whose
79 electorate was changed in violation of Bylaws?
82 [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Bylaws
83 [2]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Foundation:Member_List&diff=642628&oldid=627658
84 [3]:https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/elections.git/tree/completed/trustees-201707/voters-trustees-201707
85 [4]:https://projects.gentoo.org/foundation/2017/20170326.log.txt