From: Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Events Kit!
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 17:26:25
1 Hi guys,
2
3 How does one go about writing a proposal for funding? Is there a form
4 somewhere or do I just e-mail trustees@?
5
6 To give you a quick rundown of what I am after, having had the pleasure
7 of diving into the Events kits for Joomla and GNOME I really want us to
8 have similar, they have a large metal box that is shipped to various
9 conferences (when they're not at an event it lives in the garage of one
10 of their developers and it's contents are replenished and checked prior
11 to each event), the box contains T-shirts in various sizes for people to
12 wear at the event (so, they do it fairly cheap and wash and reuse, I see
13 no problem with that if kept in good condition), leaflets, two TFTs, two
14 small machines (I'll ask around and see if we can score a couple of free
15 machines, I'm thinking one X86 or AMD64 box and one PPC (or other
16 arch)), some cables, some swag as give-aways (KDE does some nifty pin
17 badges, others do funky case badges, we could also look at pens, or
18 branded mints or whatever), a small projector, posters, a sign, t-shirts
19 etc for sale and a small cashbox.
20
21 I have some better notes on paper, which actually gives a greater idea
22 and I am waiting to get a few quotes back for various things before I
23 propose that you give us (PR) the cash to do it. If we do T-shirt and CD
24 sale fex. then the initial outlay should be covered fairly fast, and the
25 kit would become selfsufficient for re-stocking swag and leaflets.
26
27 I noticed that Chris had already touched briefly on something similar
28 from the archives, and I'll make sure we get together and discuss it a
29 bit.
30
31 On a different note, I was saddened to see that LWE UK has had a 'Gentoo
32 not welcome' rule for a while now, after our developers kept booking
33 booths and not turning up.. I believe that is now rectified and we are
34 more than welcome in the future, even if it did cost me a hangover and
35 endless hours of talk with the guys that sponsor the .org pavillion! ;)
36
37 I'd also like to ask what sort of time frame we look at for having a
38 funding proposal approved, as it would be nice to get a kit ready by
39 early 2007 as there's a few conferences happening. I know off-hand that
40 we'll have a official presence at SCALE, FOSSDEM, Linuxforum and
41 possibly LISA. All of which take place in February and March, which
42 would mean it'd be nice to be able to send a kit across to the
43 developers present at these and replenish as needed inbetween.
47 I remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant,
48 Christel - conventionally stuck in the 1920s