From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Trustee nomination: Aaron Bauman (bman)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 20:25:11
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 03:58:15PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 3:34 PM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Spinning up a new NFP and directing future donations there seems
5 > > OK. Moving the residue of assetts there after the tax liability is
6 > > known is OK too. Thats the formal winding up
7 >
8 > ++
9 >
10 > Really, though, I don't see the reason to even move at that point. I
11 > could see moving to an umbrella. I could see not moving at all. I
12 > don't see the point in spinning up one non-profit and shutting down
13 > the current one. That is, unless the new state gives us some legal
14 > advantage, or if it gives us a better chance of getting 501c3 status.
15 > If we aren't getting either benefit then we're just doing a lot of
16 > paperwork. If this is just about bylaws/articles/etc, then we can
17 > change those without moving.
20 Look at it as "freezing" in a point in time. We would stop
21 contributions to the old NM foundation in favor of not being taxed on
22 contributions to the new. We will self-declare (the first year) for the
23 new Foundation and during that time file the appropriate paperwork with
24 the IRS. That is the immediate benefit.
25
26 As I have stated, the other pieces (by-laws, etc) are just by-products
27 of making the move. It is nothing we couldn't do now.
30 > > As long as the trustees can continue to reject incomplete applications
31 > > for funding, even from the council, there is no problem.
34 > I think that any legal entity is going to have to do reasonable care,
35 > and the officers/directors of that entity are responsible to see that
36 > it happens. That is, they need to verify that the expenditure is
37 > legal and basically aligned with the goals of the org. Any umbrella
38 > org is going to be the same.
39 >
40 > I do think it is important to define expectations around these reviews
41 > depending on the model we choose. Is the Foundation/umbrella/etc just
42 > checking to see if the request meets the minimum legal standards? Or
43 > are they also doing a more strategic evaluation? That is, are they
44 > asking "can we legally spend $5k on hardware signing devices?" Or are
45 > they asking "will spending $5k on hardware signing devices be a better
46 > use of money than saving that $5k so that we can later spend it on
47 > newspaper ads for Gentoo?" The former is probably what an umbrella
48 > would do. The latter is more like what the Foundation technically
49 > does today, though we have so few requests for funding and the
50 > requests tend to be small enough that they don't tend to turn them
51 > down for that sort of reason. What governance body do we want making
52 > the decisions around prioritization?
55 The umbrella would advise whether things are legal or not, but I would
56 offer that it is common sense as to what is legal and is not
57 legal. Sure, we could find some border line examples and corner cases,
58 but let's not.
59
60 I am saddened by how few funding requests we do have. I would also want
61 to advertise, educate, and ask that members request more funding for
62 projects etc.
63
64 I would also like to explore a scenario like GSoC, but from the Gentoo
65 Foundation. This would need a separate thread and is not an immediate
66 concern.
67
68 > I'm not really taking a side as far as this argument goes. I'm just
69 > pointing out that this is the sort of thing that we'd benefit from
70 > clearing up, so that we don't have two bodies disagreeing on
71 > priorities. When it comes to legal requirements I suspect there will
72 > be fewer disputes, and in any case I don't think the
73 > officers/directors can legally divorce themselves of their duties
74 > here.
75 >
76 > --
77 > Rich
80 I hope it has not been perceived as anyone divorcing themselves of their
81 duties.
82 --
83 Cheers,
84 Aaron