From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] You need to pay them
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 17:18:23
1 On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 3:23 AM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > I would suggest something like 1/2 to 2/3rds of the mean wage of the country
4 > the trustee lives in, with some kind of cap.
5
6 I was actually shocked at how hard it was to determine the "mean wage"
7 of the USA.
8
9 The US maintains:
10 Per capita income ($26k)
11 Median individual income ($32k)
12 Mean household income ($73k)
13
14 Then there are figures like median income of age 25+ persons with a
15 bachelor's or higher, which is $61k.
16
17 Depending on which figure you pick you're offering anywhere from 100%
18 of the Foundation's current income to 300% of it, to pay a single
19 person (in the US). And that is almost certainly to pay them a small
20 fraction of what they probably are already making in their regular
21 job. Then after accepting something not much above minimum wage they
22 get to put up with everybody expecting them to provide the same level
23 of service as an accounting firm. Perhaps we could instead hire from
24 a country with lower income, and then get to argue about income
25 equality...
26
27 All that said, I actually agree that our failure to hire professionals
28 is probably a big part of our problem. The issue is that what we need
29 and what we can afford, and for that matter what we probably want, are
30 all at odds.
31
32 This is a big part of why I tend to like the idea of joining an
33 umbrella org. Rather than having every little niche FOSS project hire
34 multiple accountants it makes far more sense to split the overhead, as
35 balancing 10 sets of books is not 10x harder than balancing one set.
36 It also separates the money more from the decision-making within the
37 distro.
40 Rich