From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 16:20:34
1 On 10/14/2016 10:43 AM, NP-Hardass wrote:
2 > On 10/14/2016 11:15 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> This is why I oppose mooshing the roles together.
5 >>>
6 >>> An ebuild maintaining nerd/codemonkey type may have little interest in
7 >>> foundation politics, and vice versa. We should not force them to shoulder
8 >>> roles they don't want.
9 >>>
10 >>> As long as they're willing to play nice with the community, they should be
11 >>> allowed to offer their support in any way they see fit. I don't think
12 >>> putting vote quotas on anyone is going to help.
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> It is a valid argument, but it does then lead to the situation where
16 >> we have diverging foundation and dev membership, which means that if
17 >> you post the same question to both groups, you could get different
18 >> answers, and thus conflict.
19 >>
20 >> However, this could be mitigated a great deal if we still purged
21 >> foundation members who are no longer active staff/devs, while keeping
22 >> foundation membership optional for those who are, and if somebody
23 >> loses foundation membership due to not voting they could ask to be
24 >> allowed back in. Then while somebody might not be voting for who the
25 >> Trustees are, they can't really complain because they need only ask
26 >> for the ability to vote for them, and crisis could be averted.
29 > What exactly are the requirements for quorum as necessitated by NM law?
30 > How do explicit abstains from a vote affect that if they do? If
31 > explicit abstention is allowed, then make voting completely compulsory,
32 > and those that do not feel that they have a desire to put a filled
33 > ballot forward are required to submit a ballot of abstention. This
34 > might alleviate some of the concerns of developers being forced to vote
35 > for trustees, while still putting developers in a position where they
36 > have to weigh what degree they wish to weigh in on such a matter.
37 > IANAL, but my suspicion is that the law only mandates that a quorum be
38 > present, not that a quorum vote one way or another. According to this
39 > document [1], abstentions only affect votes where the
40 > quorum/majority/unanimity is required of *present* voters, thus votes
41 > where only quorum/majority/unanimity of total votes is required,
42 > abstention is removed entirely from the assessment of quorum for the
43 > decision itself.
44 >
45 I think I found it.
46
47 http://www.sos.state.nm.us/uploads/files/Corporations/ch53Art11.pdf
48 page 93 - 53-11-32
49
50 I wasn't able to find any info on abstaining. As far as I could tell a
51 'rolling quorum' (just those present) can't make decisions.
52
53 http://www.nmag.gov/uploads/files/Publications/ComplianceGuides/Open%20Meetings%20Act%20Compliance%20Guide%202015.pdf
54
55 > Note, in the document from NM [2], I couldn't find specific reference to
56 > this (and we should speak to a lawyer), but there are some points where
57 > quorum is discussed of present members and some where it is discussed in
58 > relation to the entirety of the body.
59 >
60 > TL;DR: It might be possible to force all to vote, and but permit
61 > abstentions in the case of the trustees election. This might allow an
62 > easier time aligning the bodies while not forcing developers to forcibly
63 > vote where they might not have an opinion.
64 >
65 > Please note, the above might be worth looking into regardless of whether
66 > we align the voting bodies as it might make achieving a quorum in future
67 > votes more attainable.
71 > Regardless of quorum requirements, if we align the Foundation and Staff
72 > memberships, and make voting compulsory (within a 2 year period), it
73 > might be wise to loosen the voting periods to make it easier for members
74 > to vote, i.e. if voting is open for 2 weeks currently, make it open for
75 > 4 weeks as a month should be ample time to cast a vote, whether it be
76 > abstention (if allowed) or a filled ballot.
80 Altering what constitutes a quorum can only be done by altering the
81 articles of incorporation (as far as I can tell). We might be able to
82 extend the voting period though.
85 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)