From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Next meeting; a motion to have 1 type of Gentoo member.
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 04:57:55
1 On 11/07/16 00:19, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > On 11/06/2016 10:55 PM, Dean Stephens wrote:
3 >> On 11/06/16 21:32, Alec Warner wrote:
4 >>> The foundation currently has 1 member type (in the bylaws) but Gentoo
5 >>> itself still seems to have 2 (Gentoo staff and Ebuild developer)
6 >>>
7 >> Which is a problem in exactly what way? What actual practical benefit is
8 >> being sought by means of this proposal?
11 > The split in the pool of users/voters makes it hard to act as one unit.
12 I have never had any trouble with "acting as one unit" with ebuild
13 developers due to any notional divide between myself, as staff, and
14 "them" as ebuild developers.
15
16 > One way of thinking about this change would be to have the Foundation as
17 > the top level project (with ALL members), with council just beneath
18 > (with DEV memebrs).
19 >
20 That would be an entirely different proposal than merely juggling names
21 around and making some changes to the quiz structure.
24 >>> This motion represents an idea that the community itself would only have 1
25 >>> contributor type.
26 >>>
27 >>> 1) Contributors must take the staff quiz (which we should rename to the
28 >>> contributor quiz.)
29 >>>
30 >> Which is already a a subset of the developer quiz, with the exception of
31 >> two questions that are unique to the staff quiz. If you want devs to be
32 >> required to describe what ~ARCH is and whether users need to know what
33 >> EAPI is, there are less labor intensive ways of achieving that goal.
34 >> Also, are you seriously proposing that anyone who submits a patch or
35 >> files a bug or helps other users in any of the various support channels
36 >> must take a quiz first, or do they not "contribute"?
39 > They contribute but are not recognized, this would allow for easier
40 > recognition. The quiz may need amending.
41 >
42 Easier recognition by whom, the people that they are already working
43 with? Many of the people that submit patches, file bugs, and/or help
44 with technical support without becoming formal members of Gentoo do so
45 in part because taking even the staff quiz is seen as, at best,
46 make-work. While I do not necessarily share that opinion in general,
47 that perception is more in need of addressing than what sort of official
48 designation individual project members have.
49
50 >>> 2) Contributors are encouraged to be foundation members, but membership is
51 >>> not required. We may amend the contributor onboarding process to offer
52 >>> foundation membership at the time they join Gentoo as a contributor.
53 >>>
54 >> Which is the status quo, just with the proposed renaming.
57 > As I see it, yes.
58 >
59 >>> 3) Contributors that want access to the gentoo ebuild repository still need
60 >>> to follow the normal recruiting process (ebuild quiz, mentor, 30 day
61 >>> period.)
62 >>>
63 >> So, again, effectively the status quo.
64 >
65 > Again, yes
66 >
67 >>> 4) Contributors that do not want access to the gentoo ebuild repository
68 >>> (because they contribute in other ways) do not need to take the ebuild
69 >>> quiz. Its unclear if a 30 day grace period is required for non-ebuild
70 >>> groups.
71 >>>
72 >> And, yet again, the status quo.
75 > Yes
76 >
77 >>> 5) Existing developers and staff are rebranded as contributors.
78 >>>
79 >> Why "rebrand" anyone?
82 > It's my opinion that while not strictly needed it could be helpful in
83 > that it forms a strong delineation between what was and what is.
84 >
85 Without reference to what exactly "what is" and "what was" are to be
86 once "what is" has been realized, delineating them seems rather arbitrary.
87
88 >>> If approved, I expect a few months of working with comrel to adjust
89 >>> existing policy documents and recruiting guidelines to implement.
90 >>>
91 >> Does comrel really need more to do? Even merely dropping the staff quiz
92 >> questions from the developer quiz and changing all documentation to
93 >> describe everyone as a "contributor" takes time, and you introduce
94 >> another round of quiz taking for new ebuild developers when taking too
95 >> much time to get through the quizzes is already probably the most
96 >> commonly complained about part of recruiting new ebuild developers.
97 >
98 > Personally I don't think it'd only be comrel that'd be tasked with this.
99 > My personal suggestion is for more of a working group, with members of
100 > council foundation and comrel to work on this. As far as the quiz
101 > updates go, I feel this is more of a formal dividing of the quiz than
102 > adding to it.
103 >
104 The proposal as it stands is to have developers take the staff quiz,
105 then the ebuild quiz, then the end quiz; while the developer quiz would
106 logically have the overlap dropped, it is another round of quiz taking.
107 In practice, such a change could take the form of taking both the staff
108 and (reduced form) developer quizzes concurrently, but that is not the
109 standing proposal.
110
111 >>> -A
112 >>>