From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Next meeting; a motion to have 1 type of Gentoo member.
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 04:58:54
1 On 11/07/16 13:46, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 12:23 AM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Sun, Nov 06, 2016 at 06:32:59PM -0800, Alec Warner wrote:
5 >>> The foundation currently has 1 member type (in the bylaws) but Gentoo
6 >>> itself still seems to have 2 (Gentoo staff and Ebuild developer)
7 >>> This motion represents an idea that the community itself would only
8 >>> have 1 contributor type.
9 >>> 1) Contributors must take the staff quiz (which we should rename to
10 >> the
11 >>> contributor quiz.)
12 >>> 2) Contributors are encouraged to be foundation members, but
13 >> membership
14 >>> is not required. We may amend the contributor onboarding process to
15 >>> offer foundation membership at the time they join Gentoo as a
16 >>> contributor.
17 >>> 3) Contributors that want access to the gentoo ebuild repository still
18 >>> need to follow the normal recruiting process (ebuild quiz, mentor, 30
19 >>> day period.)
20 >>> 4) Contributors that do not want access to the gentoo ebuild
21 >> repository
22 >>> (because they contribute in other ways) do not need to take the ebuild
23 >>> quiz. Its unclear if a 30 day grace period is required for non-ebuild
24 >>> groups.
25 >>> 5) Existing developers and staff are rebranded as contributors.
26 >>> If approved, I expect a few months of working with comrel to adjust
27 >>> existing policy documents and recruiting guidelines to implement.
28 >>
29 >> The difference between Staff and Developer is "merely" that a Developer has
30 >> access to the Portage tree (and as such can influence system behavior of
31 >> Gentoo users). Staff are still developers, they work on other aspects of
32 >> the
33 >> distribution, such as core documentation, infrastructure, release
34 >> engineering, forum maintenance, etc.
35 >>
36 >> I would not appreciate an intake for contributors. Many wiki contributors
37 >> (which offer a wealth of documentation information) would be affected by
38 >> this, which they will see as bureaucratic stuff. Same with proxy maintained
39 >> packages. Those contributors are no staff, yet they provide valuable
40 >> improvements to Gentoo.
43 > I'm not suggesting we intake for wiki contributors (for the same reason
44 > there is no intake for forum members, or irc channels.) I think there
45 > should be intake for administrators. So Forums-mods should take the
46 > developer quiz, as should wiki administrators, pr people, irc ops, bugzilla
47 > admins, etc.
48 >
49 What possible reason would there be for requiring forum moderators, wiki
50 administrators, irc ops, people doing PR work, bugzilla administrators,
51 or anyone else not doing ebuild work, to take the developer quiz set?
52 All of those positions, when necessary, already use staff recruiting
53 because detailed knowledge of ebuild development and maintenance is
54 utterly irrelevant to their work.
55
56 If you want to require the full developer quiz set for work on
57 officially supported overlays, regardless of gentoo.git access, there is
58 at least a coherent argument to be made. But for positions that involve
59 no ebuild work, it is at best pointless.
63 >> If we would want to align Gentoo Project user-types and Foundation, then we
64 >> are moving the project management into Foundation space a bit. Currently,
65 >> the Foundation has always tried not to meddle within this. I am not opposed
66 >> to making things a bit easier for both though (for instance, all staff and
67 >> developers are automatically Gentoo Foundation members).
70 > I want to handle foundation membership on a separate thread, if you would ;)
71 >
72 > -A
76 >> Wkr,
77 >> Sven Vermeulen