From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 20:04:22
1 On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 10:36 -0700, Chrissy Fullam wrote:
2 > > At first I thought two classes of members was not necessary, nor did it
3 > > make sense. I still feel that way in the current sense of the two classes
4 > > as the bylaws read now. However further thought on how we can open up our
5 > > membership base, and also how we might bring additional funds to Gentoo.
6 > >
7 > > I am thinking we go with two classes of members, individual and business
8 > > class.
9 > >
10 > > Where individuals are free to join the foundation. Completing some basic
11 > > application/form, and agreeing to things like the GSC, or etc. Some basic
12 > > common requirement for screening purposes, within reason. The same process
13 > > would apply for businesses as well. But depending on the size of the
14 > > organization. We would have a tiered fee structure which they are required
15 > > to pay before joining foundation.
16 > >
17 > > Finally any business would appoint a representative. Which that person
18 > > would not qualify to be an individual foundation member. Since they would
19 > > essentially have access to two votes.
20 > >
21 > > I believe this might be kinda controversial, maybe not. This really
22 > > doesn't do anything for businesses. 1 vote as a member on the foundation
23 > > doesn't really do anything. But at least gives them a voice. Plus helps
24 > > bring some $ to the foundation, and opens up membership base.
25 > >
26 > > Just some thoughts, totally open for all input, and discussions on this
27 > > topic.
28 >
29 > How would Gentoo benefit from having non-developers (individuals as you put
30 > it) and businesses (you don't mention sponsors so I presume any business,
31 > say Intel) be allowed to become part of the foundation and have a vote?
34 We already have non-developers as Foundation members. Developers who
35 are members of the Foundation when they leave the developer ranks remain
36 Foundation members.
37
38 For example, it looks like we have 12 Foundation members whose nicknames
39 start with 'a' and 4 of them are in the retired developer list. I have
40 no idea if that is typical --- I just took 'a' because it was easiest.
41
42 > Also you mention Gentoo making money off this arrangement, can you please
43 > elaborate how the money comes into play? Where does it come from, how do we
44 > determine how much, and what do we do with it, etc?
47 > Kind regards,
48 > Christina Fullam
49 > Gentoo Developer Relations Lead | Gentoo Public Relations
53 Regards,
54 Ferris
55 --
56 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
57 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)