From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Foundation status -- good and bad -- and suggested steps
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 00:16:13
1 Hi All,
2
3 I know there has been a lot of concern about the state of the Foundation. I
4 have been concerned (and confused) too. So I have done my own research and
5 wanted to share the results of my findings.
6
7 You can view the official status of the Foundation here:
8
9 https://portal.sos.state.nm.us/BFS/online/CorporationBusinessSearch/CorporationBusinessInformation
10
11 You will see that this list of trustees is current, the Foundation is
12 active and in good standing with the state of New Mexico. This is a very
13 good thing, because it is the state of New Mexico that grants the
14 Foundation its existence, after which the Foundation can apply for things
15 like Federal not-for-profit status. So the status that the Foundation has
16 with the state of New Mexico is actually the thing that is of the utmost
17 importance.
18
19 Regarding filings with the Federal government and financial reports, it
20 does appear that over the years the Foundation has not kept up with this
21 very well and this needs to be addressed. I have made my recommendation to
22 the trustees that they reach out to Eben Moglen at the Software Freedom Law
23 Center for assistance, as this is specifically the type of assistance that
24 they provide to free software projects. This does not require becoming a
25 sub-organization under the SFLC, or letting the SFLC 'run' the project. You
26 simply ask them for assistance, and they provide the assistance.
27
28 Eben and others at the SFLC have assisted Funtoo in the past and have been
29 very helpful and supportive. I am sure they will be happy to help Gentoo.
30
31 So, in summary, based on my research, the Foundation's existence is not in
32 question. The federal filings simply need to get done. There is no need for
33 the Foundation to be dissolved, nor is it necessary to move things under an
34 umbrella organization. The Foundation simply needs assistance to catch up
35 on the outstanding items that need to get done, and this is really not a
36 hard task, especially with the help of the SFLC. I think the task has been
37 a bit intimidating for those new to tax paperwork, and that has been why it
38 has progressed slowly in the past. All that needs to be done is to make a
39 request to the SFLC for assistance, and from my perspective this problem is
40 essentially taken care of.
41
42 Best,
43