From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] What could the Gentoo Foundation do with money?
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 00:01:32
For more of a fun thread. I am just going to list a bunch of ideas I
personally have had wrt to what Gentoo could do with money. They are not
listed in any particular order.

     1. Provide all devs with a base development system
     2. Sponsors devs to travel to events, seminars, summits, etc
     3. Sponsors devs for educational purposes, certifications, college,
        trade courses, etc
     4. Hold an annual Gentoo Conference for all developers and users
     5. Pay for infra services
     6. Buy bitchen hardware and toys for infra
     7. Buy new hardware to install/certify Gentoo on ( PS 4, new procs,
        big iron, etc)
     8. Increase schwag and freebie stuff to give away at events
     9. Sponsors development via Gentoo summer of code, or fall, winter,
        or spring summer of code
    10. Donate/contribute to other projects and charities
    11. Purchase membership for Gentoo in other foundations ( Gentoo
        being a member of Gnome foundation, or etc )
    12. Provide hardware to devs working on certain areas, device
        drivers etc ( like buying a bunch of video cards for those
        supporting binary drivers, or odd/expensive hardware )
    13. Buy licenses to commercial apps so we can package and make
        ebuilds available for them.
    14. Provide FREE release media
    15. Marketing and promotional materials ( flyers to hand out at
        events, banners, booth displays, etc )

There are likely more, hopefully others will chime in on stuff I missed.

William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo Foundation