From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Soliciting Feedback: Gentoo Copyright Assignments / Licensing
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 15:29:17
1 On 12/17/12 4:07 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Announcing once to -dev-announce due to the general importance of this
3 > topic to the community, but ALL replies should go to -nfp, or to
4 > trustees@ if you must, or to /dev/null if you shouldn't.
5
6 ???
7
8 > Before I start, yes, the trustees realize that there are legal issues
9 > around copyright assignment in general, and that various workaround
10 > exist and may or may not work, such as various contributor licensing
11 > agreements that are used by various organizations, especially in
12 > Europe. The purpose of this thread isn't really to debate this topic,
13 > as it might be moot in any case.
14
15 Agreed.
16
17 > The question we would like to get feedback from the Gentoo community
18 > on is this: is copyright assignment (or something like it) something
19 > Gentoo should even be pursuing, and if so, to what degree? Should we
20 > turn away contributions where assignments are not made? Should we aim
21 > for a voluntary but encouraged approach as used by KDE e.V.? Should
22 > we pursue this for some Gentoo projects but not others (such as for
23 > portage (the package manager), and perhaps eclass code, but not
24 > ebuilds)?
25
26 Keep the KDE e.V. practice. The idea behind our social contract is to
27 make sure to the best of our possibility that Gentoo (the distribution)
28 remains free software, anything beside that is just harming us in a way
29 or another alienating contributors.
30
31 > The main arguments for owning copyright of something would be:
32 > 1. Legal simplicity
33
34 Moot point once you go over the country border, for each country and
35 each border.
36
37 > 2. Ability to re-license (obviously in accordance with the social
38 > contract, and this could even be enforced with a model like the FSFe's
39 > FLA)
40
41 Debatable, cautious people prefer keeping thing as static as possible in
42 this regard.
43
44 > 3. Standing to pursue copyleft license violations
45
46 That can be achieved by other means, the easiest is to appoint a lawyer
47 for the group of people involved enumerating them all.
48
49 Having a collective procedure in which you have a single entity
50 representing all the stakeholder would grant the violator an outcome
51 different than paying damages and being unable to use such software,
52 such as negotiating a reinstatement of the license at the same time or
53 settle it out of court.
54
55 > Feedback from any member of the Gentoo community (loosely defined) is
56 > welcome. If anybody has STRONG feelings on this matter, please be
57 > sure to voice them either in public or in private, as I can't
58 > guarantee that there will be another opportunity to do so.
59
60 As I had stated before I feel that not forcing people to get into the
61 messy field of passing over the copyright would be the best outcome, yet
62 would be nice having proper tracking by technical means. And in this
63 case complete the git migration for the repositories of interest.
64
65 lu