From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Next meeting; a motion to have 1 type of Gentoo member.
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 04:58:22
1 On 11/07/16 13:35, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 8:55 PM, Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 11/06/16 21:32, Alec Warner wrote:
5 >>> The foundation currently has 1 member type (in the bylaws) but Gentoo
6 >>> itself still seems to have 2 (Gentoo staff and Ebuild developer)
7 >>>
8 >> Which is a problem in exactly what way? What actual practical benefit is
9 >> being sought by means of this proposal?
12 >>> This motion represents an idea that the community itself would only have
13 >> 1
14 >>> contributor type.
15 >>>
16 >>> 1) Contributors must take the staff quiz (which we should rename to the
17 >>> contributor quiz.)
18 >>>
19 >> Which is already a a subset of the developer quiz, with the exception of
20 >> two questions that are unique to the staff quiz. If you want devs to be
21 >> required to describe what ~ARCH is and whether users need to know what
22 >> EAPI is, there are less labor intensive ways of achieving that goal.
23 >> Also, are you seriously proposing that anyone who submits a patch or
24 >> files a bug or helps other users in any of the various support channels
25 >> must take a quiz first, or do they not "contribute"?
28 > I am not seriously proposing that, no.
29 >
30 In that case, might I suggest considering "rebranding" your proposal in
31 such a way as to not belittle their contributions? Even simply dropping
32 the renaming entirely?
36 >>> 2) Contributors are encouraged to be foundation members, but membership
37 >> is
38 >>> not required. We may amend the contributor onboarding process to offer
39 >>> foundation membership at the time they join Gentoo as a contributor.
40 >>>
41 >> Which is the status quo, just with the proposed renaming.
42 >>
43 >>> 3) Contributors that want access to the gentoo ebuild repository still
44 >> need
45 >>> to follow the normal recruiting process (ebuild quiz, mentor, 30 day
46 >>> period.)
47 >>>
48 >> So, again, effectively the status quo.
49 >>> 4) Contributors that do not want access to the gentoo ebuild repository
50 >>> (because they contribute in other ways) do not need to take the ebuild
51 >>> quiz. Its unclear if a 30 day grace period is required for non-ebuild
52 >>> groups.
53 >>>
54 >> And, yet again, the status quo.
55 >>
56 >>> 5) Existing developers and staff are rebranded as contributors.
57 >>>
58 >> Why "rebrand" anyone?
61 > I primarily want to avoid bifurcation of the developership.
62 >
63 Having never been an ebuild developer, at least not with tree access;
64 allow me to alleviate your concerns, at least in part: I have never had
65 any issue with "bifurcation" between those with tree access and those
66 without on the basis of tree access or lack thereof.
70 >>> If approved, I expect a few months of working with comrel to adjust
71 >>> existing policy documents and recruiting guidelines to implement.
72 >>>
73 >> Does comrel really need more to do? Even merely dropping the staff quiz
74 >> questions from the developer quiz and changing all documentation to
75 >> describe everyone as a "contributor" takes time, and you introduce
76 >> another round of quiz taking for new ebuild developers when taking too
77 >> much time to get through the quizzes is already probably the most
78 >> commonly complained about part of recruiting new ebuild developers.
79 >>> -A
80 >>>
83 > I would of course be the guy owning most of that work (editing documents,
84 > while annoying, is well within my capabilities.)
85 >
86 > I think the quiz question is a fair point, I'll consider mitigation in
87 > future iterations.
88 >
89 > -A
90 >