From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, gentoo-managers@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] CDs and t-shirts
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 02:56:03
1 > If you would make extremely huge profits, we couldn't ask for
2 > a part if you reinvested all the money in your FP entity again.
3
4 It's hard to make extremely huge profits selling CDs of free software (and
5 soon, t-shirts.) I don't think you may realize that having a NFP allows for
6 much more funding potential than a basic CD/t-shirt business. The difference
7 in potential is very much in favor of the NFP.
8
9 If you know someone who is interested in running the store for the NFP, let
10 me know. If I find a good job somewhere, or find something else to occupy me
11 full-time, I'd like to be able to hand it off so that others can run it.
12 It's not exactly thrilling to burn and ship CDs.
13
14 The trademark licensing arrangement is there so I can make the determination
15 of when to hand off the Store, rather than have someone else to make this
16 determination. I do not see a big future in the CD printing and T-shirt
17 business, and I'd be very surprised if the Gentoo Store becomes a long-term
18 career for me.
19
20 Sincerely,
21