From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Trustee nomination: Aaron Bauman (bman)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 18:01:44
1 On 2018.07.16 22:21, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:18:47PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > I'd like to nominate Aaron Bauman (bman).
4 > >
5 > > --
6 > > Best regards,
7 > > Michał Górny
8 >
9 > As many may be aware I had run for council in the recent election. My
10 > intent was simply to further the items I had outlined on the -project
11 > mailing list. While I was not elected, those items remain unchanged
12 > and
13 > my intent is to continue working those items from the Foundation. I
14 > have
15 > experience working with United States based non-profits both from a
16 > legal
17 > and fundraising perspective. I do not *enjoy* it, but I am willing to
18 > do
19 > it again if required for Gentoo. For clarity, I will outline those
20 > items here.
23 > Tax issues: The tax issues should be apparent to all following the
24 > -nfp
25 > mailing list. Gentoo did not obtain their not-for-profit IRS tax
26 > exemption following the one year self-declaration period. This of
27 > course, has led to many years of contributions being accepted, but no
28 > taxes being paid. Thus, we owe the United States Government back taxes
29 > for those years. While this is bad, it is not a show stopper for the
30 > Foundation. It can be rectified and a proposal has been written and
31 > the
32 > current trustees should have some informaiton regarding it soon.
33 >
34 > There have been several courses of action presented by various members
35 > of the community to address this. The most recently discussed option
36 > is
37 > to join an umbrella organization such as SPI. This is a viable option
38 > should we be accepted for representation. As of now, the financial
39 > conundrum is a show-stopper for acceptance.
40 >
41 > Another option which I have explored is beginning a new incorporation
42 > in
43 > a different U.S. State (Indiana). This would allow us to gain a
44 > not-for-profit status and proper IRS tax exemption. Upon forming the
45 > incorporation we would redirect all of Gentoo's contributions to this
46 > new organization. From there we would begin moving assets from the
47 > New
48 > Mexico based foundation to the new. This would be in the form of gifts
49 > which allows a zero-sum transaction to occur given that the
50 > organizations both address the same not-for-profit mission. This would
51 > require a significant amount of money (approximately $30-40k dollars)
52 > be
53 > left in the NM foundation to deal with the IRS debt.
54
55 That sounds risky for the trustees that vote to approve that. My
56 understanding of NM law is that they would be personally liable for
57 any shortfall as it could be seen as moving funds to avoid liability.
58
59 Also, we would need to operate two NFPs when at this election
60 we only secured enough candidates to staff one ... if they are all
61 ranked above _reopen_nominations in the poll.
62
63 Its actually worse than that, as ideally, trustees and officers should
64 be separate individuals, except for the chairman of the board, who
65 needs to be a board member.
68 > There are multiple benefits to this approach. The first is that Gentoo
69 > will begin accepting tax-deductible contributions (for Gentoo and
70 > their
71 > contributors) immediately. This is beneficial to not only Gentoo, but
72 > our contributors as they may now claim the contribution on their
73 > annual
74 > taxes. Additionally, it will allow Gentoo to seek formal fundraising
75 > and
76 > give our contributors comfort that we are being good stewards.
77 >
78 > Second, a new incorporation will allow us to address concerns of how
79 > the
80 > council and foundation interact through proper by-laws. Many of the
81 > current by-laws are boilerplates texts simply modified. I am currently
82 > working these by-laws to address the following:
83 >
84 > The council is and will remain the leadership within Gentoo. The
85 > by-laws
86 > will constrain the trustees to legally execute the direction in which
87 > the council votes. The few exceptions are any legally compromising
88 > matters or financial. This also ensures that council members will
89 > *not*
90 > be forced to legally seek permission from their employers. It will,
91 > however, not remove the requirement that trustees are legally
92 > obligated
93 > to the foundation.
94 >
95 > e.g. The council votes that all developers will be supplied with a
96 > Nitrokey to address 2FA concerns. The trustees will execute this
97 > matter
98 > legally and financially. There will be no choice as the "technical
99 > board" has voted and it is final.
100
101 The technical board currently has no duty to ensure fhaf their
102 decisions offer value for money. Which body would perform
103 'due dillegence'?
104 To follow on your example, there are several competing 2FA
105 solutions with differing feature sets. While Nitrokey may be
106 selected for <reasons> the comparative value assesment still
107 needs to be performed or the trustees would be neglecting their
108 duty by rubber stamping council decisions.
109
110 The council can do this today. I'm sure other groups/individuals
111 already do this work before they submit funding requests.
114 > e.g. The council votes to adopt the FHS as a standard of which all
115 > Gentoo developers must adhere within the Gentoo distribution. The
116 > trustees will enact this by amending the by-laws.
117 >
118 > e.g. The council votes to require all developers to sign commits using
119 > their @gentoo.org email address and key. Once again, the trustees
120 > will
121 > enforce this by amending the by-laws. Any failure to adhere will be
122 > addressed through the proper channels and developers warned/banned for
123 > failing to do so.
124 >
125 > Third, a new incorporation will address the short-falls we have seen
126 > in
127 > the current situation. The by-laws will require the proper CPA, Tax
128 > lawyers, etc to be contracted quarterly, annually, or as-needed to
129 > prepare and finalize required documents. Once again, the trustees
130 > will
131 > be legally obligated to address these matters and can and will be held
132 > accountable should they fail to do so.
133
134 Why does this need a new legal entity, we have to fix the existing one
135 anyway.
136
137 Such bylaws would make me nervous ... what happens if the new
138 legal entity has insuffcient funds to pay these people. I suppose it
139 just goes bankrupt, like any other legal entity.
142 > While umbrella organizations can address these matters it is not
143 > likely
144 > that we will be accepted anytime soon even if we address the financial
145 > matters. This does not mean I am opposed to such a solution, but only
146 > lends to why I have suggested a new incorporation.
147 >
148 > As I have stated, I am currently working a set of proposed by-laws and
149 > will send them to the community once complete. From there we can begin
150 > discussion and fine-tuning of the proposal. It will take approximately
151 > 1-2 months at most for a new incorporation to be stood up once the
152 > by-laws are codified. My intent is to open it for discussion to all,
153 > but should it become a bikeshed it will simply be left to the trustees
154 > and council to finalize.
155 >
156 > The trustees and current council will be adopted by the new
157 > incorporation. These are the individuals the community has voted for.
158 > As
159 > such, I find it important that we adhere to their choice.
160 >
161 > Standing by for questions...
162 >
163 > --
164 > Cheers,
165 > Aaron
168 I welcome any and all proposals to move things forward.
169 If I'm asking questions that will be addressed by your more
170 detailed proposal, a response to that effect is fine.
171 Don't be doing more work to answer questions that will be addressed
172 with the passage of time anyway.
175 Regards,
176
177 Roy Bamford