From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Bylaws change: allowing Council members to serve as Trustees
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 07:54:20
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 This one has came up a few times recently, and I think it would be
4 reasonable to finally put it as formal motion. I'd like to propose
5 removing from Bylaws section 5.2 (Qualification) [1] the following
6 paragraph:
7
8 No individual shall serve as a Gentoo Foundation Trustee and Gentoo
9 Council Member concurrently
10
11 Rationale:
12
13 This topic has been brought up a few times and so far the best argument
14 has been that a single individual could not bear both positions time-
15 wise. However, I don't think this really justifies forbidding it
16 by law, and I think the candidates should be given the chance to assert
17 that themselves. If someone doesn't believe in a single individual
18 serving both positions simultaneously, he can express that in his vote.
19
20 Furthermore, Matthew Thode has proposed merging Council and Trustees
21 in the past. I think having common members in both bodies could be
22 the first step towards that or -- to the contrary -- prove that this is
23 undesirable without actually having to merge them to check.
24
25 Finally, since Trustee elections have really lacked candidates
26 in the past years, this might improve the situation. I can't guarantee
27 that; I don't think I would run but others might. In any case, it's
28 worth a try and I don't think it would really harm anyone.
29
30 It's better to give voters a chance to decide on this rather than
31 scratch candidates up front via Bylaws.
32
33 [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Bylaws#Section_5.2._Qualification
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny