From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Section 3.1 Place of Meetings
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:49:55
1 On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 13:37 -0600, RB wrote:
2 > > "All meetings must be openly available to the public to attend..
3 > > Meetings are conducted electronically and are held in #gentoo-trustees
4 > > IRC channel on freenode.net."
5 >
6 > Although there would be much other pain and suffering in the world
7 > should freenode disappear, you may want to 'lawyer' that language out
8
9 We just update the by laws to reflect the new meeting place.
10
11 > "All meetings must be openly available to the public to attend.
12 > Meetings are conducted electronically and are held in a forum
13 > designated by the trustees no less than X days in advance, normally to
14 > be the #gentoo-trustees IRC channel on freenode.net" You don't want
15 > to be legally liable for someone else's failure to maintain free
16 > infrastructure.
17
18 If I am an outsider reading that. That still leaves some ambiguity, not
19 a definitive. This is where it is, period. Also that might put some sort
20 of 10 day announcement requirement on the board, even for regular
21 meetings.
22
23 Our entire infra is provided for free. So this liability of freenode
24 going away and us losing our meeting place. While totally valid, is
25 pretty moot in comparison to things that would effect the project much
26 more.
27
28 Like no freenode.net, forget trustee meetings. All #gentoo* channels are
29 gone. Then what? Trustees losing their meeting place, would be the least
30 of the concerns.
33 William L. Thomson Jr.
34 amd64/Java/Trustees
35 Gentoo Foundation