From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: neddyseagoon@g.o
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, trustees@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Draft Foundation By Laws
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:16:20
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:57:20 +0100
5 Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
6
8 > Hash: SHA1
9 >
10 > All,
11 >
12 > Danger Will Robinson, Long Rambling Post Ahead.
13 >
14 > The story so far. The Foundation Bylaws have been through several
15 > drafts for several reasons. There is a set
16 > http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/bylaws.xml which were drafted for
17 > the original incorporation in New Mexico.
18 >
19 > Subsequently rl03 (and maybe others?) modified this draft to be
20 > suitable for incorporation in Delaware. At this time there was also
21 > some good work done to update the Bylaws to reflect the way Gentoo
22 > really works.
23 >
24 > Incorporation in Delaware was not followed through as the incumbent
25 > trustees began examining the options with umbrella organisations like
26 > the SFC.
27 >
28 Bylaws are probably state neutral.
29 > Now we are in the process of restoring our good standing in New Mexico
30 > and the Bylaws need more work to complete that.
31 >
32 > As I'm not familiar with US law, I have taken the Draft Bylaws produced
33 > by rl03 and pasted in some of the New Mexico statutes from
34 > http://xrl.us/bjevt. This is a 30 page work in progress available as a
35 > Open Office or PDF document in my dev space.
36 >
37 > Reading through this combination document, looking at the law and the
38 > Bylaws, I have the following questions:-
39 >
40 > Meetings of Members.
41 > The various statutes, (which are quite old) infer physical meetings.
42 > e.g. 53-8-13. Meetings of members.
43 > A.     Meetings of members shall be held at such place, either within
44 > or without New Mexico as may be provided in the bylaws. In the absence
45 > of any such provision, all meetings shall be held at the registered
46 > office of the corporation in New Mexico.
47 >
48 > How does the concept of an Annual Meeting to elect Trustees sit with
49 > our voting process?
50
51 You vote like we do now (analogy, send in your proxy), and the vote at
52 the meeting is a formal counting of the votes and announcing the
53 results.
54
55 As for "place", I'd maintain that IRC is a "place."
56
57 > Would we get away with opening the meeting, calling for nominations
58 > then adjourning for a month to allow the two week nomination process and
59 >
60 > two week vote process to happen?
63 Do it like corporations do it now. Nominate people, have a voting
64 period (stockholders make their choices and send in their proxies), and
65 announce the results at the meeting (directors vote their proxies). So
66 the "election" is the tellers' formal report.
67
68 > 53-8-16. Quorum.
69 > With virtual meetings, and virtual voting how can we demonstrate we
70 > have a quorum. At physical meetings, attendees are counted entering the
71 > meeting room. They may not vote later in the meeting but their presence
72 > is all that matters for a meeting to be quorate.
73 >
74 On IRC, they show up as present and not away.
75
76 > The draft bylaws state Section 3.10 and 3.11:-
77 > "A member may vote either in person or by proxy executed in writing by
78 > the member or his or her duly authorized attorney-in-fact."
79 > We need to disallow proxies unless someone knows how it could be
80 > enforced with our voting system and/or on IRC.
81 >
82 I'd simply change that to describe how we want to do it.
83
84 > "Section 4.2. Full Members. To be eligible for membership as a full
85 > member, a person must hold full developer privileges and remain in good
86 > standing with the project for a probationary period of no less than one
87 > calendar year."
88 > Needs to be clarified - what is "full developer privileges"?
89 > Do non ebuild developers qualify ?
90 > This is important to me personally as I am not an ebuild developer.
93 Yeah, this is the interesting part.
94
95 > Section 5.4. Number. ... fix this section to include the original 13
96 > Trustees as we are back in New Mexico.
97 >
98 New Mexico doesn't care. The number of trustees is determined by the
99 bylaws. We don't need 13 trustees, do we? We had 13 incorporators in
100 NM, but the actual board size is specified in the bylaws.
101
102 Remember, the papers being filed now call out specifically the current
103 5 trustees. That's why the lawyer needed our addresses.
104
105 > Section 7.1. Books and Records.
106 > The law requires "Each corporation shall keep at its registered office
107 > or principal office in New Mexico a record of the names and addresses
108 > of its members entitled to vote."
109 > Our Bylaw says
110 > "The foundation shall keep at its registered office or principal place
111 > of business, or at the office of its transfer agent or registrar, or in
112 > the custody of the Secretary a record of the name, address, telephone
113 > number, and electronic mail address of each member, together with the
114 > date of any withdrawal or termination of such member's membership"
115 > Why telephone number?
116 > "or in the custody of the Secretary" is not permitted by the law.
117 >
118 The revised bylaws are boilerplate taken from something else (Renat
119 told me but I don't recall). At this point, they are just a proposal for
120 us to tailor to our specific needs.
121
122 > 9. Article IX
123 > Corporate Seal
124 > The law says "failure to have or to affix a corporate seal does not
125 > affect the validity of any instrument or any action taken in pursuance
126 > thereof or in reliance thereon"
129 Most questions concerning NM statutes & bylaws are best addressed by a
130 NM lawyer. We don't really know what the law is because courts
131 interpret the statutes and the end result is what counts. Fortunately,
132 we have a NM attorney. I'd suggest collecting questions and asking
133 him. True, this costs us a bit of money. But I'd rather spend it and
134 get things right quickly than try to figure out what NM law really is.
135
136 This gives us advice on how NM really works as opposed to what the
137 statutes (some of them over 20 years old) say. Those two things are
138 not always the same.
139 > So we don't need a corporate seal, so why have one?
140 >
141 It's a historical anachronism. We don't need one. You have one
142 because it looks impressive when affixed to a document, I guess.
143
144 > My other concerns, expressed earlier appear to have been addressed in
145 > this draft.
146 >
147 > Other points for discussion.
148 > I'm not overly happy with the complex way Foundation membership is tied
149 > to being a developer in good standing.
150 >
151 > I would like to see the Foundation membership period after resignation
152 > extending for a year. Really until the next Trustee elections. Trustees
153 > are hard to come by and I would not not to lose one mid term will
154 > little handover. That's just features for discussion.
155 >
156 > Longer Term - after the Bylaws are adopted
157 > <dons flameproof jacket>
158 > I would like to see Gentoo community members from outside the developer
159 > pool serving the Foundation. That's possible under the law now, as
160 > Officers can be appointed by Trustees and Officers of the Foundation
161 > need not be Foundation members.
162 >
163 > To ensure continuity when Trustees are rotated I would like to see that
164 > only half the Trustees are replaced at any election.
165 > </dons flameproof jacket>
168 I agree. Typically, if you think of the Trustees as the Board of
169 Directors of a corporation (which we are), you would expect the same
170 ones to be reelected over and over anyway. There is little merit in
171 change as long as things are going well.
172
173 Here's the analogy. Trustees must be Foundation members (typically,
174 directors are stockholders). The officers (like CEO) are chosen by the
175 trustees (directors) because they are believed to be competent for the
176 job, which has nothing to do with being a member of the Foundation
177 (stockholder).
178
179 > Anyway, that's a few ideas for later ...
180 >
181 > - --
182 > Regards,
183 >
184 > Roy Bamford
185 > (NeddySeagoon) a member of
186 > gentoo-ops
187 > forum-mods
188 > treecleaners
189 > trustees
199 Hope this doesn't confuse things too much,
200 Regards,
201 Ferris
202
203 - --
204 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
205 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel, Userrel, Trustees)