From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Next meeting; a motion to have 1 type of Gentoo member.
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2016 07:30:09
1 On 07/11/16 13:32, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > The foundation currently has 1 member type (in the bylaws) but Gentoo
3 > itself still seems to have 2 (Gentoo staff and Ebuild developer)
4
5 That is no longer correct - "staffer" is a thing of the past. These
6 days, everyone is a developer whether they work on ebuilds or not.
9 > This motion represents an idea that the community itself would only have
10 > 1 contributor type.
11 >
12 > 1) Contributors must take the staff quiz (which we should rename to the
13 > contributor quiz.)
16 If by contributor you mean a developer who does not work on ebuilds,
17 this is already the case. Such developers already require a mentor,
18 complete the historically-named 'staff' quiz, and follow the normal
19 recruiting process.
22 > 2) Contributors are encouraged to be foundation members, but membership
23 > is not required. We may amend the contributor onboarding process to
24 > offer foundation membership at the time they join Gentoo as a contributor.
25
26 We already do this. Part of the text a recruiter posts to a
27 newly-recruited developer's bug is "contact trustees@g.o for
28 Foundation membership (optional)".
31 > 3) Contributors that want access to the gentoo ebuild repository still
32 > need to follow the normal recruiting process (ebuild quiz, mentor, 30
33 > day period.)
34 >
35 > 4) Contributors that do not want access to the gentoo ebuild repository
36 > (because they contribute in other ways) do not need to take the ebuild
37 > quiz. Its unclear if a 30 day grace period is required for non-ebuild
38 > groups.
39
40 This is no change to current practice. Every new developer already is
41 required to have a mentor, complete a quiz appropriate to what they'll
42 be working on, and have a 30 day probation period.
45 > 5) Existing developers and staff are rebranded as contributors.
46
47 As there is currently no distinction between different types of
48 developers, what will be gained by rebranding everyone?
51 > If approved, I expect a few months of working with comrel to adjust
52 > existing policy documents and recruiting guidelines to implement.
53
54 While I applaud your efforts, the proposal seems to be based on an
55 outdated picture of the community. Additionally, given our current
56 metastructure, it's not clear to me how this is even a Foundation issue.
57
58 The only thing that needs updating is documentation to reflect the
59 reality that everyone is a developer, and everyone completes a quiz
60 appropriate to what they will be working on.
61
62 Coincidentally I've already looked into fixing the quizzes. The 'staff'
63 quiz and the non-technical section of the 'ebuild' quiz are very
64 similar, so my proposal to recruiters was to:
65
66 1) Rename 'staff' quiz to 'developer' quiz
67 2) Remove non-technical section from the 'ebuild' quiz
68 3) All developers take the 'developer' quiz, and developers wishing to
69 work on ebuilds take the 'ebuild' quizzes.
70
71 This should be uncontroversial because it's just fixing the semantics to
72 match reality. There's no change to the actual questions asked by any
73 given new developer.