From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Foundation update
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:17:13
1 Here's an update. It's the same as on my blog.
4 Current state of affairs
5 ------------------------
6
7 With help from Renat Lumpau (rl03), I spent some time this week talking
8 to the Foundation's lawyers, collecting documents, and sifting through
9 old e-mails. As I posted on gentoo-nfp a couple of days ago, the state
10 of New Mexico did, indeed, revoke the charter for the Gentoo Foundation,
11 Inc. in October of 2007. It's still not entirely clear why, since I
12 mailed a check along with the (then) current and past-due annual reports
13 to the state of NM way back in July. Since the check never cleared, it
14 seems a good guess that the paperwork went astray, but we won't know
15 until Renat's request (and $5) are processed by NM and they get back to
16 him.
17
18 In any event, having the Foundation's charter revoked is exceptionally
19 embarrassing, but not catastrophic. The state of NM has a
20 straightforward procedure for reinstating a revoked charter, as long as
21 the request to do so is filed within two years of the charter's
22 revocation. This morning I sent by USPS Express Mail (tracking number
23 EO 943 358 815 US for those who want to play follow-the-paperwork from
24 home) an envelope to the New Mexico Public Regulation Commission,
25 Corporations Bureau containing an application for reinstatement, copies
26 of the missing annual reports, and a check for $60.
27
28 Does the Foundation currently exist?
29 ------------------------------------
30
31 Yes.
32
33 Many, many people have assumed, quite understandably, that with the
34 Foundation's charter having been revoked, that the Foundation has thus
35 ceased to exist. That's not really true. You can see this by looking
36 at the NM statutes, but it's simplest to see by looking at what happens
37 when NM receives the application for reinstatement. The New Mexico
38 public regulation commission will determine if all of our paperwork is
39 in order. If it isn't, they'll let us know what we need to do to
40 complete it. Once it is, the commission will cancel the certificate of
41 revocation and file a certificate of reinstatement that takes effect "as
42 of the effective date of the administrative revocation and the
43 corporation resumes carrying on its business as if the administrative
44 revocation had never occurred".
45
46 http://tinyurl.com/2v6qtl
47
48 Who is in charge here, anyway?
49 ------------------------------
50
51 Well, for the moment, I am. Of course, since I'm one of the people who
52 let the Foundation's charter get revoked, that's probably not a good
53 thing, but that's what we have right at the moment. Who am I? I'm one
54 of the two Trustees who hasn't resigned. (The other is pauldv.) I'm
55 also one of the original Trustees from when the Foundation was
56 incorporated. During that initial period I was made the Secretary of
57 the Foundation so that I could establish banking (which requires that
58 the Secretary sign the forms), and in 2005 I was chosen by the
59 then-newly-elected Trustees to be the President of the Foundation. The
60 important part from the above is that I had the legal authority to sign
61 the application for reinstatement that I mailed earlier today.
62
63 Could somebody else be in charge?
64 ---------------------------------
65
66 Yes, but it would take some time.
67
68 The Foundation has members. Those members could set up an election,
69 vote out the current bums, and choose new, more dedicated folks to run
70 things. Who are these members? It's anybody who voted in a previous
71 Trustee election, and all current Gentoo devs who have been a developer
72 for one year at the closing of the election poll and actually vote in
73 the election. The Gentoo Foundation has a _lot_ of members.
74
75 An alternative is for the existing Trustees to appoint new trustees to
76 fill the gaps left by those Trustees who have left. That would take
77 less time, but I'd feel much better doing that if new elections were
78 scheduled to occur within a reasonable amount of time.
79
80 What happened to the SFLC?
81 --------------------------
82
83 Weren't we going to consider joinging the Software Freedom Law Center's
84 Software Freedom Conservancy (http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/)?
85 Yes, and the SFC was, and still is, interested (as of just a few days
86 ago, anyway), although they have some concerns about managing the legal
87 aspects of an entire distribution. (Gentoo would be larger, by far,
88 than any of their current member projects.) I still think that's the
89 right way to go, although it's ultimately going to depend on what the
90 Foundation's members want. The bottleneck right now is the assembly of
91 documents that the SFC needs to go forward:
92
93 * Certificate of Incorporation (or analogous document for your org)
94
95 * Existing By-Laws for the Organization
96
97 * List of Directors (and historical list of previous directors, if
98 available)
99
100 * List of Officers (and historical list of previous officers, if
101 available)
102
103 * Minutes from all Board meetings for the last three years
104
105 * All Board Resolutions passed by the Directors
106
107 * Membership meeting minutes (if your organization is a membership
108 organization)
109
110 * All Membership Resolutions (if your organization is a membership
111 organization)
112
113 * All annual reports (published, or filed with any state or federal
114 agency)
115
116 * All audited annual finanicals (if any were audited and/or filed)
117
118 * All financial reports of any kind for the last three years
119
120 * Copy of all state and/or federal filings (particularly including but
121 not limited to tax-related filings) for the last three years. In
122 particular, be sure to include:
123
124 + the IRS determination letter for the status of your filing
125
126 + Your IRC Form 1023 filing
127
128 * List of any ongoing threats of litigation, or other disputes, and
129 documentation of any resolved past litigation
130
131 * A list of all assets currently held by the organization (including
132 backup documentation, such as copy of bank statements, etc.)
133
134 + Include a copy of *all* bank statements for the last year
135
136 * Any contracts that the organization has executed in the last three
137 years (plus any older than that if they remain active)
138
139 * A list of any outstanding loans, leans, or other debts held by the
140 Organization
141
142 Much of this stuff needs to be assembled by me (because I have most of
143 the docs), and I got rather busy the last six months and didn't do any
144 of it. I'm going to try to pull together as much as possible this
145 weekend, but I could use help on a couple of items. Our sponsored ads
146 on www.gentoo.org presumably constitute contracts of some sort, so if we
147 have anything in writing I could use a copy. Our major tangible assets
148 are the various gentoo boxes that we have, so a list of those would be
149 helpful. I vaguely remember that once upon a time we fired a dev who
150 then threatened to sue us (but never did, fortunately). Nonetheless,
151 we'd best include that info as well. Help from devrel on that one,
152 please? I'd like to have all of this stuff sent to the SFC on Monday,
153 if at all possible.
154
155 Looking forward
156 ---------------
157
158 So, what's next?
159
160 We need new Trustees. I don't think anybody will disagree there.
161
162 We need to decide (again) what the role of the Foundation should be.
163 Currently, the Foundation exists to handle Gentoo's financial matters,
164 protect and defend Gentoo's trademarks and other intellectual property,
165 and provide ownership of various "hard" assets, such as the various
166 Gentoo server boxes. The Foundation has almost no influence right now
167 over actual Gentoo (the OS) development. The only caveat there is that
168 Gentoo needs to satisfy the requirements of a non-profit organization,
169 and it's the Foundation's job to let the Council know if something is
170 happening that might threaten the Foundation's non-profit status. I
171 believe that this role is what the majority of the Foundation's members
172 actually want, and it's one that I believe would be even better served
173 by having the SFC handle it instead of us. That said, there has been a
174 lot of support for what drobbins has proposed
175 (http://blog.funtoo.org/2008/01/here-my-offer.html), which would make
176 the Foundation responsible for the health and direction of Gentoo as a
177 whole. That's a discussion that's certainly worth having, and
178 gentoo-nfp@g.o is standing by.... Let's try not to take forever
179 having this discussion, so consider Monday, 23:59 UTC, to be a deadline
180 for your electronic voice to be heard.
181
182 What about drobbins' proposal?
183 ------------------------------
184
185 I'd like to push off until Monday any actual decision, so that the above
186 discussion can happen first. I don't think drobbins will mind the
187 delay, although he's not around right now for me to check first.
188 --
189 Grant Goodyear
190 Gentoo Developer
191 g2boojum@g.o
192 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
193 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76